Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone get new Eyeglass Frames lately?

I am literally blind as a bat with 20/700 vision and a small face. I go with rimless glasses since they can be made any size to fit your face. I look ridiculous in some of the frames they have so I go to an independent optomistrist who makes glasses since the chain places can't deal with my prescription. Same price but better service.
Honored Contributor

On 3/11/2015 suzieQ4me said:

Feline G., thanks for your reply!! Sounds great!

Another question - do you usually pick one frame from the 5 they send you, and are they clearly labeled so that you know the name of the one you want to order?

Thanks again for replying!

Anytime, Suzie! Smile

Yes, they're clearly labeled: each frame is encased in a plastic bag with a label on it. The style's name is also etched into one of the inner arms of the frame. And their website keeps records of your HTO orders and purchases, so that you know what the color is officially called in 'WP-speak'.

Plus, every frame in their inventory has the measurements noted on its specific webpage.

Yep, I chose mine from HTO orders. In fact, since they're free and you can try on as many frames as you like, even in different colors, you many end up with many HTO's and then start narrowing down which ones are the:

1st: most comfortable (especially if you wear them full-time, like I do)

&

2nd: most flattering

I ended up doing the above by picking my faves from each HTO, then later getting a HTO box of my five top choices, then eventually figuring out my #1 and #2 choices (just in case). Sometimes your choice ends up being the very first frame that you tried on, as it slid onto your face and settled so comfortably like it was made for it!

Do note, though, that you can only order one HTO box o' 5 at a time; once they receive it back, you can order another. And so on...

Warby will keep you updated via e-mail as to your HTO orders and purchases. Their employees are great, but the biggest reason that I chose them (besides their HTO service and their reasonable prices with high quality) is their motto: "Buy One Give One". They're an extremely philanthropic company, and in many ways.

Make sure you're on their email list, plus Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and Pinterest -; they post some cool stuff!

8-)

Contributor

I really went out of my comfort zone on my last pair. ProDesign Denmark 4689 Navy/Yellow option. Would never pick them from a photo. Get so many compliments. Thinking of getting a second pair in Gray/orange combo.

Trusted Contributor

Feline, thanks again for your answer, I appreciate it!!

Honored Contributor

I have to get new one and am looking for something a little out of my comfort zone too. I don't know what I'll get but I do know I need nose pieces. There is nothing more irritating than frames touching my cheekbones when I laugh or touching my eyebrows when I frown.

Honored Contributor

On 3/21/2015 suzieQ4me said:

Feline, thanks again for your answer, I appreciate it!!

You're most welcome, Suzie! Let us know how you made out! 8-)

Super Contributor

Been to the WP site and wow, so many to choose from! Feline, didn't you once get the Welty style? Awhile back you posted a pic of a pair you got in whiskey tortoise, really liked them. Choosing just 5 to try on will be difficult. SuzieQ, let us know how you're doing with WP.

Thanks for all the replies.

Respected Contributor

Just fyi, the eyeglass frame industry is almost a monopoly, mainly owned by 1 company who sets their own outrageous prices. I saw a piece on 60 minutes a few years ago-

A good friend of mine bypasses it by buying a pair of well-made sunglasses and has the optician use those frames- Some will do it, some won't. It can save hundreds.

BUYER BEWARE! Hope this helps!

Occasional Contributor

On 2/14/2015 Perkup said:

I've been to dozens of eyeglass stores in my life and I never saw anything other than one or two styles that ran into the high hundreds and definitely not anything in the thousand dollar range. Seems rather silly to me to pay anything like those prices for eyeglass frames. Why would anyone??????

I spent a small fortune on my current glasses. I've worn the same dang frame style for the last 3 prescriptions I had- and NOT intentionally! I can't stand the small frames. When I look I want to be able to see everywhere, not just a small window. Where I usually went had ONE frame that was a decent size. This year- my eye doctor let me know big is coming back (think 70's & 80's sunglasses size)- plus I wanted a bifocal that's a weird request- true line, golfers edge. I don't need readers, I need them for distance and it's a pain using glasses to see one thing and constantly taking them off for the next. Plus I really like the HD lens- another added expense. Ended up with this pair of Cazal with clear HD lens/tiny little bifocal. Already planning my new sunglasses- either Caviar or another Cazal style.

Honored Contributor

On 3/22/2015 BigOrangeKitty said:

Been to the WP site and wow, so many to choose from! Feline, didn't you once get the Welty style? Awhile back you posted a pic of a pair you got in whiskey tortoise, really liked them. Choosing just 5 to try on will be difficult. SuzieQ, let us know how you're doing with WP.

Thanks for all the replies.

Kinda, Big O' (great memory!)... I like the 'Whiskey Tortoise' color, and the "Welty" is a fave that I was considering (still am) for my backup/spare pair. I'm also trying on other styles in that same color. But I do actually have the "Downing" style in 'Revolver Black', and wear 'em full-time.

Choosing just 5 is hard, but you're just beginning! You can keep trying on more 'groups of 5' for as long as you wish, then keep narrowing it down as I had mentioned.

Glad you're enjoying the WP site; do go to all of the areas there...very enjoyable reading and great philosophies. 8)