Honored Contributor

Anyone ever wonder? tops v. leggings

No doubt some will read this as me being against some type of clothing or body type, but that is not the case at all.

I've been wondering why we hear so often about "lumps and bumps" showing up under tops, particularly those with spandex, but we don't hear that about leggings.

It seems to me unless someone is quite fit, one's legs have" lumps and bumps" as well.  And even if they didn't, you still see the thigh, knee, calf outline.  

I am glad stirrup pants are back in stock since those give a nice, clean line.  (That is simply a personal preference, not a commentary on fashions in general.)

Anyone else ever wonder about the top/legging "bumps and lumps" question?

Again, don't get me wrong, I'm not against any fashion or any body type.  I'm just wondering about why the phrase comes up with tops but not with leggings.  At least I never hear it.  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone ever wonder? tops v. leggings

I hear hosts and vendors mention lumps, bumps and dimpling all the time regarding certain pants, especially knits. 

I don't think I've ever heard a pair of knit pants or leggings presented where the host and/or vendor doesn't say the knit is substantial enough so you don't see these things.

Esteemed Contributor

Sagging back fat, 'leg-o-lamb' upper arm fat, multiple layer belly rolls, muffin tops, "love" handles, chins that sag right into the decoletté...

the bottom half can't begin to compete with this assortment.   

Honored Contributor

I think it is perfectly fine if you do give an opinion about certain types of clothing! I think anything can show "lumps and bumps" if you wear the wrong size. I don't like leggings on anyone over age 12...that's just my opinion. I think the best solution to looking a bit updated and not wearing baggy, full-legged trouser-type pants are not only unflattering, but look very dated in most cases.

I bought jeggings...looser than leggings...and sized up one size...they are a five-pocket style and are loose enough that I don't feel the need to wear a tunic...which look awful on me because i am short....tunics just look like dresses on me. I must look far and wide to find tops that are not down to my knees...will be glad when they are being sold again.

Honored Contributor

There is a big difference between tops that have some spandex and leggings which are made to be like a second skin. The former is usually semi-fitted; the latter, almost a compression fit.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

Some clothing is so tight that it's impossible to be flattering.  I think people worry more about the size label than how a garment actually looks.  

Let's face it, some clothing is not well made and shows off everything you don't want seen.

As for descriptions, well, the hosts are there to sell.  Looking in a full length mirror from all sides is your best way to see how something fits your body.

Esteemed Contributor

Seems to me there is a big difference between Spandex leggings that are like a second skin versus moderate leggings that have some spandex but are not a second skin. I'm 70, 5'3" and weigh 110 pounds - I'm not "fit" but I am slim. I wear what I call moderate leggings a lot, even though I'm a bit over 12 years old! I wear them at home and when I go out for a few errands. "Lumps and bumps" are usually obvious when a person buys a smaller size than what they really need.

Honored Contributor

Leggings look better if you are thin and tall.  However, some women wear what they want and don't care how they look as long as it is the trend.  Same goes for those ugly denim jean leggings.

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Sagging back fat, 'leg-o-lamb' upper arm fat, multiple layer belly rolls, muffin tops, "love" handles, chins that sag right into the decoletté...

the bottom half can't begin to compete with this assortment.   

Ha ha @x Hedge, you cracked me up!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

IMO, most women do not look great in skin tight leggings.  They show lumps and bumps, and accent the fact that many women are knocked kneed.  Some legs look too skinny or very thick.  If the top is long enough and flows, it can hide some of these issues, but not all of them.

i have an idea why only tops are mentioned reminding us what they can hide on our upper body and not skin right leggings.  Skin right leggings do not hide anything.  They are like body paint. You might as well be naked.

Slim pants that glide over the body, but do not hug are a better option for most women.  They actually do make you look slender and polished.

Everyone is free to wear what they want to and what they feel comfortable in.  I know for me, I'd rather not contribute to visual pollution.  My body is not made for tight leggings and I would be a scary sight in them.