Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else not a big fan of scarves?

@Ms tyrion2 wrote:

I don't care for scarves either.  I much prefer jewelry over scarves. To me, most of the time, they just look cluttered at the neckline. I would never choose one as an accessory. 

I don't mind a long, knitted scarf hanging long in cool weather. That doesn't happen much here!  

I feel the same way.  It's just too much fabric and they always need adjusting.  They take away from the actual outfit most of the time.

I wear a scarf in the winter for warmth.

Respected Contributor

I wear them in cooler and cold weather. (upstate NY)  I was in Amsterdam last May and EVERYBODY wears a scarf.  Even men.  The weather there warrants a scarf though and the people of Amsterdam are a hearty bunch.  They are outdoors much of the time!  Cafes are packed outdoors even in 50 degree weather!  

Honored Contributor

The only scarves I wear are for warmth on a winter coat. I tried wearing them as part of an indoor outfit, but the look is just not for me. I prefer jewelry around my neck. 

I see women of all ages wearing scarves. It’s not something I see all the time, but I still see them. Some women wear them loose & free in a boho casual way, others on handbags or as belts, & and some worn more traditionally. My mom and aunt wore them beautifully back in the day. 

Honored Contributor

I do wear scarves but I am careful with them because sometimes they can look like you are trying too hard to come off as a "fashionista."

I like a silk scarf with a wool winter coat because of their practicality. I hate the feel of wool on my neck so a scarf fills in my neckline.

I was taught how to tie a scarf in various ways years ago so that isn't a problem.

I find that as I get older, that what worked twenty years ago no longer does. I lean towards a minimalist approach to fashion so too many accessories cluttering up my appearance I tend to stay away from. Not sure if that makes any sense, though. LOL

Honored Contributor

@Carol Diane wrote:

I own a lot of beautiful scarves and I used to wear them a while back but I have long hair and just like with hoods, they tend to make knots in my hair by the back of neck so I tend to stay away from them now. 

too bad we can not buy and sell things here... I would love to buy some of your lovely scarves!

Respected Contributor

When I traveled for work the assignments could last 2 weeks or more. Packing for work and then an after-work wardrobe was made easier with scarves. I took basic pieces and accessorized with scarves. They weigh nothing and take up little room. I used very sheer ones and kept them loose, so they worked for all seasons. I don't like anything bunched up around my short neck. I still like them in the cooler months and will use them in place of a necklace when wearing simple tees and casual pants with a cardigan or a nicer hoodie when meeting friends. I can't wear the larger scarves well as I feel with my broad shoulders they make me look a bit like the Hulk. 

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Carol Diane wrote:

I own a lot of beautiful scarves and I used to wear them a while back but I have long hair and just like with hoods, they tend to make knots in my hair by the back of neck so I tend to stay away from them now. 

too bad we can not buy and sell things here... I would love to buy some of your lovely scarves!

If they set up an Ebay account we could buy and sell from one another; just a thought.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have a large collection of scarves, mostly oblong. I tend to wear solids so use  scarves to add some pizzazz to my outfit.  (particularly in winter because I wear a lot of black turtlenecks)  I never wear both a necklace and a scarf.

If the first thing someone sees is my scarf, then it's too much. If my scarf is awkward or distracting, then it's too much. 

Honored Contributor

I had a big pile, got rid of all of them since I didn't wear them. I kept 2, for warmth in the winter if I'm out shoveling snow, or to keep in the car for emergencies.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

@Junebug54  I am also not a scarf person, even though I have tried to be one.  I know quite a few women who can really pull them off, but I end up either using them as some type of decoration (my Halloween one is now covering a chest in the foyer) or giving them to either my friend who wears them well or to a donation.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!