Honored Contributor

Anyone do the hang the hanger backwards thing?

I just started this a few days ago. I went a little crazy buying spring and summer clothes.  I have a habit of wearing favorites over and over again and some things don't get worn as much. 

So I decided to turn the hanger backwards in my closet each time I wear something. I've never tried this before but know that others do it. 

It it will give me a clearer picture of what I've worn and what needs to get worn. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone do the hang the hanger backwards thing?

i've tried something a little different. i always take the next dress or skirt that comes up in rotation. it forces you to maybe accesorize differently , or realize that you hate that item and put it into the goodwill box. sometimes i go back a couple but try to always take from one end and after wearing, put it at the end of the line.  works for me. 

Frequent Contributor

I do the same thing. I seem to pick out the same things & wear them. Especially, if its something new. That's an awesome idea tho. I will be trying it. I forget so easily, I have to ask my kids if I've worn before. Thanks for such a great idea!!!!

I also turn things inside out & put them away. That way I never have dust,pet hair, ect on them when I finally do wear them. I have 2 very hairy pets & always seem to have a hair or 2 on me.

Honored Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

i've tried something a little different. i always take the next dress or skirt that comes up in rotation. it forces you to maybe accesorize differently , or realize that you hate that item and put it into the goodwill box. sometimes i go back a couple but try to always take from one end and after wearing, put it at the end of the line.  works for me. 

@kittyloo- I thought about doing that, just taking the next shirt in line (I wear jeans every day or denim capris) but I really don't have anything else to donate right now. 

I kind of follow the Konmari method of decluttering and how I look at my possessions. I think I'm at my "click point" with my clothes and shoes. The kidney foundation is doing a pickup on Tuesday and I put three clothing items in the donation bag, but It took me awhile to come up with those and I'm pretty much donated out when it comes to clothes and shoes. I've been a ruthless purger. 

Valued Contributor

What a great idea, I will have to try . I do have that habit of wearing the same thing over and over. Then when I see something I truly don't wear, then I can donate it. Thanks for the tip.

Regular Contributor

We have the old fashioned wood rods in the closets, so this is easy to do for me.......

I wear something and launder/dry clean.  Then that item goes to the far back side of the closet rod.  I only "pull" from the front of the closet.  That way the entire wardrobe is in rotation and I'm not always putting the fresh laundry in front and only grabbing those things over and over. 

If something comes to the front and I don't want to wear it that day "just because" (not something like inappropriate for the weather or occasion), the rule is that it MUST go in the box we keep there for donations.  When the box is full I will look at the items; but it takes about 6 months or so for both of us to fill the box so I figure if I haven't missed it in that amount of time I should be donating it anyway!!

Honored Contributor

Wow it sounds like you have way too many clothes hanging in your closet! If I needed a system to devise telling me what clothes need to be worn and what clothes I have worn then you need to get a charity give away bag ready. I have only what I need hanging in my closet per season. And nothing is packed, all hanging clothes have room to breathe. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

Wow it sounds like you have way too many clothes hanging in your closet! If I needed a system to devise telling me what clothes need to be worn and what clothes I have worn then you need to get a charity give away bag ready. I have only what I need hanging in my closet per season. And nothing is packed, all hanging clothes have room to breathe. 

@ID2- I'm fortunate in that I have a lot of clothes.  But I don't need to get a charity bag ready, but thanks for the suggestion.  I've lost 113 pounds and most of my clothes are new or newish as I changed sizes many times along the way.  I celebrated my weight loss with a whole new wardrobe.

I'm ruthless when decluttering/donating and donate regularly and have donated every single item that either I didn't wear or it didn't fit.  Right now, there's nothing I want to donate.

We have a huge master closet and all my clothes are in there.  I don't need to pack the off season clothes away.  And all my clothes are spaced apart- plenty of room to breathe.

I just think that we tend to reach for some of the same items again and again and I want to make sure that I don't overlook wearing anything else.

Honored Contributor

I tried it once. It didn't last long. Like others here, I wear pretty much the same stuff a lot of the time. Habit. Lesser worn things seem to end up on the ends of the rod like book ends. Most used ones, will be in the center. Habit, again.

Trusted Contributor

I have to have all my hangers facing the same way or it would bug me. I fix my college age son's closet even!