Honored Contributor

Update:  I found it!  No 'sticky fingers' on my pumpkins!  lol

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Well apparently I am doing more closet purging. Because I have a few pairs of pants that need to go. I might try washing them in hot water first to see if I can shrink them though. Anyone tried that? 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

I have a whole section of clothes in my closet that no longer fit me since I lost 20 pounds. I'd love to have the extra room in there but I'm afraid that if I get rid of the larger sized clothes, I won't have anything to wear if I regain the weight. I'm thinner now than I've ever been and the clothes I have that are too big are actually in the size I've worn all of my adult life. Oh, what to do...

Get rid of it. @Texasmouse I understand the urge to hold on to it. But it feels very satisfying to purge it and not be thinking it's waiting there for you if you gain anything back. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone closet purging?

[ Edited ]

@willdob3 wrote:

I've never really called it purging; it is always a happy event for me! 

When I started losing weight a few years ago I finally had to take everything out of my closet & drawers to separate the too big, still too small, and fits now items. I was having a horrible time finding clothes that fit when I was getting dressed!

I'm not sure how many times my wardrobe has been completely replaced over the last few years. For a few years I kept a bag in the corner of my bedroom to stick clothes that needed to go to consignment in. I'd also donate some every few months. I don't need to donate that often these days. When things are not getting used they get donated, taken to consignment, or tossed if not in good condition. I've got a couple pairs of high quality athletic shoes that are going to be donated on my next trip - top of the line Nikes and barely used Brooks. 

Now I work at keeping my closet current and well-organized. I've always been picky about what I buy and I'm fortunate not to be an impulse shopper so I don't have many things that don't get used.

That's what I've been going through for the last year. I'm still losing and it's frustrating because I feel like I wear the same thing a lot, but I don't want to buy too many things that won't fit in 6 months or whatever. I have a couple items that I got at the thrift store that I can't wear yet but I couldn't pass up. Other than that I've done two purges as things have gotten too big. I still have holes in my wardrobe though. I learned my lesson when I bought stuff on sale at the end of the season thinking I'd wear it next winter and then it was too big. So I've been trying to just buy what I can wear now. 

This thread reminded me I haven't gone through my coats since last winter. I know I have a couple that are too big. 

Valued Contributor

Yes!  I've recently decided that I only want clothes in my closet that I love and am excited about wearing.  I had so many things that I just wore because they were in my closet, but I didn't really like them.  Out they went!  That includes shoes too.  I still have a few more things that I need to get rid of and will do that this week.  I'd rather have less clothes and love them all than alot of clothes that I'm not really thrilled with.

Esteemed Contributor

@ECBG

That's how I purge.  I guess you could say I purge once every week or so.  I wear something and realize I don't love it, or it doesn't quite fit anymore, or I purged the top that went with it last week (LOL).  My donate bag is on the closet floor.  I'm becoming much more discerning on the buying end!

You could say that a lot of my "good buys" became "good byes!!"  LOL

@wilma

Great thread wilma!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Regular Contributor

I do the semi annual clothing purge in May and October.  I have a lot to get rid of this year.  Can't wait to clean it all out!!

It is what it is!!!
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@ECBG

That's how I purge.  I guess you could say I purge once every week or so.  I wear something and realize I don't love it, or it doesn't quite fit anymore, or I purged the top that went with it last week (LOL).  My donate bag is on the closet floor.  I'm becoming much more discerning on the buying end!

You could say that a lot of my "good buys" became "good byes!!"  LOL

@wilma

Great thread wilma!

@MacDUFF@wilmaIt works for me because it isn't a major undertaking.

Respected Contributor

I just started today. I have a way to go. Put this off in the spring. Now have much to do. I try almost everything on. Did pretty good but now I am tired. I have started and that is good for me. Do not show DH. He thinks everything is just fine!!! I give everything to a women's charity. Oh things are too small never big!!!!!

Honored Contributor
Ok, I'll just say it. One reason I am having a hard time with purging much, is, I'm not seeing much out there that is worth switching out what I already own. All the excess fabric, high/low hemline, open cardigans, etc. just isn't my style or all that attractive. I am just 'over' all of that. I'm keeping most of what is in my closet until the designors/stores/online sources start showing something else. I am sure I can find some items to purge though.
"To each their own, in all things".