Respected Contributor

I have a whole section of clothes in my closet that no longer fit me since I lost 20 pounds. I'd love to have the extra room in there but I'm afraid that if I get rid of the larger sized clothes, I won't have anything to wear if I regain the weight. I'm thinner now than I've ever been and the clothes I have that are too big are actually in the size I've worn all of my adult life. Oh, what to do...

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I go through my closet very often, always looking for things that don't work anymore, don't fit or I find I'm just not wearing.  I took another two bags to the charity drop off this morning. One bag was clothes, the other was purses. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

YES! I moved into my new home less than a month ago and thought I had been ruthless in purging.  But I love my walk-in California Closet so much I want it to look magazine-worthy.  Yesterday I decided there are certain colors that I simply don't love and became even more ruthless and out they go!  

Honored Contributor

@magicmoodz

Wow, California Closet..... smell you, lol.

I'm glad that you love your new place.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Congrats on your weight loss @Texasmouse!  Way to go!Woman Very Happy They say you must get rid of all of your too-big-now clothes after weight loss. This is an incentive for keeping the weight off. So toss away!Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor

I forgot to add that I am feeling confused about my style lately. I want to dress more sophisticated, but I love LL Bean and an old fashioned kind of style. 

I am now experimenting with JJill clothes for the past year and a half and I bought three items from Eileen Fisher to try to update my wardrobe. Now I need to figure out how to mess the two styles. I need to be classic because the items I always purge are either too trendy or too loud in the print dept. 

Honored Contributor

@Squirrel Lover

Here's my advice, where what makes you feel comfortable.  Not just physically comfortable, but mentally and spiritually comfortable.

If you force a style that doesn't come naturally to you, you are going to feel awkward about it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Congrats on your weight loss @Texasmouse!  Way to go!Woman Very Happy They say you must get rid of all of your too-big-now clothes after weight loss. This is an incentive for keeping the weight off. So toss away!Woman Very Happy

@SilleeMee

Thank you! I probably should toss them, but it's going to be hard. I get kind of attached to my clothes. 😕

Esteemed Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

@magicmoodz

Wow, California Closet..... smell you, lol.

I'm glad that you love your new place.

@Bird mama

LOL  Thanks, Bernie!

Respected Contributor

@dperry wrote:

I forgot to add that I am feeling confused about my style lately. I want to dress more sophisticated, but I love LL Bean and an old fashioned kind of style. 

I am now experimenting with JJill clothes for the past year and a half and I bought three items from Eileen Fisher to try to update my wardrobe. Now I need to figure out how to mess the two styles. I need to be classic because the items I always purge are either too trendy or too loud in the print dept. 

I could have written this!

I like Eileen Fisher and JJill because I just feel more up to date and comfortable. But I have so many Talbots traditional items and these two styles just don't work together. I even feel like I need different shoes. Like a tassel loafer doesn't work with EF. 

My closet is confused.

My donations are usually things include things that I try too hard to  be on trend. I don't wear a lot of prints but I see Issac sweaters and think that the models look good. I need to learn to stay in my comfort zone. 

I think that one of the biggest fashion LIES is the phrase "It's a classic that never goes out of style" Well, I get it. But the white shirt, blue blazer, jeans, denim jacket, cashmere sweater or the trench coat will need updating after a period of years.