Reply
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,032
Registered: ‎09-27-2010

 I have a whole section of clothes in my closet that no longer fit me since I lost 20 pounds. I'd love to have the extra room in there but I'm afraid that if I get rid of the larger sized clothes, I won't have anything to wear if I regain the weight. I'm thinner now than I've ever been and the clothes I have that are too big are actually in the size I've worn all of my adult life. Oh, what to do...

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,204
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

I go through my closet very often, always looking for things that don't work anymore, don't fit or I find I'm just not wearing.  I took another two bags to the charity drop off this morning. One bag was clothes, the other was purses. 


Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,641
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

YES! I moved into my new home less than a month ago and thought I had been ruthless in purging.  But I love my walk-in California Closet so much I want it to look magazine-worthy.  Yesterday I decided there are certain colors that I simply don't love and became even more ruthless and out they go!  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 37,412
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

@magicmoodz

 

Wow, California Closet..... smell you, lol.

 

I'm glad that you love your new place.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor
Posts: 24,635
Registered: ‎05-22-2016

Congrats on your weight loss @Texasmouse!  Way to go!Woman Very Happy They say you must get rid of all of your too-big-now clothes after weight loss. This is an incentive for keeping the weight off. So toss away!Woman Very Happy

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,858
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

I forgot to add that I am feeling confused about my style lately. I want to dress more sophisticated, but I love LL Bean and an old fashioned kind of style. 

 

I am now experimenting with JJill clothes for the past year and a half and I bought three items from Eileen Fisher to try to update my wardrobe. Now I need to figure out how to mess the two styles. I need to be classic because the items I always purge are either too trendy or too loud in the print dept. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 37,412
Registered: ‎03-12-2010

@Squirrel Lover

 

Here's my advice, where what makes you feel comfortable.  Not just physically comfortable, but mentally and spiritually comfortable.

 

If you force a style that doesn't come naturally to you, you are going to feel awkward about it.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor
Posts: 3,032
Registered: ‎09-27-2010

@SilleeMee wrote:

Congrats on your weight loss @Texasmouse!  Way to go!Woman Very Happy They say you must get rid of all of your too-big-now clothes after weight loss. This is an incentive for keeping the weight off. So toss away!Woman Very Happy


@SilleeMee

Thank you! I probably should toss them, but it's going to be hard. I get kind of attached to my clothes. 😕

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,641
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

@Bird mama wrote:

@magicmoodz

 

Wow, California Closet..... smell you, lol.

 

I'm glad that you love your new place.


@Bird mama

 

LOL  Thanks, Bernie!

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,867
Registered: ‎03-16-2010

@dperry wrote:

I forgot to add that I am feeling confused about my style lately. I want to dress more sophisticated, but I love LL Bean and an old fashioned kind of style. 

 

I am now experimenting with JJill clothes for the past year and a half and I bought three items from Eileen Fisher to try to update my wardrobe. Now I need to figure out how to mess the two styles. I need to be classic because the items I always purge are either too trendy or too loud in the print dept. 


I could have written this!

I like Eileen Fisher and JJill because I just feel more up to date and comfortable. But I have so many Talbots traditional items and these two styles just don't work together. I even feel like I need different shoes. Like a tassel loafer doesn't work with EF. 

 

My closet is confused.

 

My donations are usually things include things that I try too hard to  be on trend. I don't wear a lot of prints but I see Issac sweaters and think that the models look good. I need to learn to stay in my comfort zone. 

 

I think that one of the biggest fashion LIES is the phrase "It's a classic that never goes out of style" Well, I get it. But the white shirt, blue blazer, jeans, denim jacket, cashmere sweater or the trench coat will need updating after a period of years.