Frequent Contributor

Re: Anyone changing clothing choices now that Labor Day is here?

Days are already getting chilly in upstate NY.  But I’ Keep my shorts on as long as possible.  Wearing sweatshirts now, will add closed shoes or even UGGs before I put the long lived pants back on.  Hoping for a warmer fall.  It doesn’t get warm here to well into a June some years.  Arghhh

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm another one who dresses for the weather, not the calendar. 

It was 83 degrees and sunny in SW Michigan today, with more of the same and added humidity tomorrow. The forecast is for mid 70's after that, so it's definitely still shorts and tee shirt weather. When it gets down in the 60's, I'll switch to a long sleeved tee shirt. In the 50's, I'll add a sweatshirt or fleece. The shorts stick around until high's are consistently in the 40's. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Honored Contributor

White after Labor Day? Watching a discussion on the news with two ladies and a gentleman, the ladies were split. One said OK; one said "no way"!

I grew up with "the rule." And it is my choice to continue it in memory of my grandmother, and my fashionable mother and her equally fashionable twin sister. 

It's going to be 90 here this week, although the evenings are getting cooler. I wore white capris today for the last time this year. My white pants, dresses, and sandals will be "hibernating" until next Memorial Day. I will also put most of my "summer" jewelry away, including my beloved blue and green enamel crab earrings. Since I will be going to the beach in the months to come, my gold starfish earrings will stay out. I will change my bag to a "fall" one tomorrow. 

DD told me today she thinks it's crazy. Summer doesn't end for her until September 22! Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

I will be wearing summer-ish clothes until that morning when it's evident I need jeans and a sweatshirt. I'm thinking in October.

Honored Contributor

Nope, I'm old school. I already stored away all of my white clothing, shoes and purses. If its still warm out I will wear my summery clothes that are more Fallish in color. I love changing up my wardrobe for the seasons. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Who dresses for the calendar?  

Trusted Contributor

My mother was born in 1935 and she was a stickler about the “ white rule”. Not before Easter and not after Labor Day! I start getting tired of my white skirts and pants by the end of summer but it’s still hot here in Tennessee. I just start transitioning my colors from summer brights and pastels to more muted tones and I will wear darker tops with my lighter bottoms. Actually, I like brown with white and burgundy with white. And I continue to wear sandals until October but I go with darker polish.
Honored Contributor

Nah; still summer, still warm.  Why rush the seasons?

Honored Contributor

It's still in the upper 80's - low 90's here in East TN.  It won't be time to change to fall clothes until mid to late October.  I'm ready for fall now and am enjoying the cooler mornings.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

I’m in Florida. I’ve worn white pants on Christmas. At the beach. Even the fashion police say white is fine all year. Most people go by the weather.

I’d love to switch to fall clothes now but it is too hot so I’m not changing anything. I’ve got a few lightweight fall color tops but I’m not wearing them yet. Switching to fall colors when it is so hot doesn’t feel right to me. No ankle boots yet and no fall mules or clogs. For me, fall clothes are more about the colors than the fabrics.

I plan to wear my sandals most of the year.