Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone changing clothing choices now that Labor Day is here?

No, it's still warm here in NY (in the upper 70's).  It wil emain this way until the end of Sept.

Honored Contributor

People complain about rushing the holidays, isn't rushing the seasons along the same lines.

The first day of fall doesn't get here until the 23rd.  .

Honored Contributor

In the late 19th century, rich, high society women who came from wealth found themselves rubbing elbows with the so-called "new rich." In order to distinguish old-money families from the newfound millionaires, they used fashion rules that only those who were "in" would know about.

These rules included things like wearing the correct sleeve length for certain events and, of course, only wearing white in the summertime. Eventually, when Labor Day became a federal holiday in 1894, the holiday became a natural end point for summer and wearing white.

Of course, summer heat can stretch well into September, but if you were "in," you'd know that Labor Day meant putting away cool, white clothing, regardless of how miserable it would be to wear fall-appropriate clothes in late summer.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/white-after-labor-day/11503758

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

Still wearing shorts and sleeveless tops in the great lakes basin. I have 6 pair of white shorts, and I keep them in the rotation as long as shorts are wearable.

But need to switch to long pants after 6pm now, and need a real blanket at night.

Honored Contributor

I wear white pants before Memorial Day and after Labor Day, because I don't believe in fashion rules. It's still hot/warm where I live and will be  through all of September. I'd feel silly and hot wearing fall clothes. Usually don't until mid or late October depending on the weather.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner  I do the same with very Summery clothes. The florals unless muted look strange. But I ease into the dark colors. White pants are stored. 

Today my friend wore a light lace blouse with black long slacks that were so long they were dragging over her sandals. She was pulling them up and saying how hot they were. 

Since it was a casual place and over 90 degrees I wore beige Bermudas with a beige and blue top. Comfortable!

I put away summery purses but keep medium colored out until the darker ones come out

later. Same with shoes. 

Super Contributor

It will be warm here for awhile, but I'm pretty much done with white pants/shorts. I'll stil wear shorts if it's hot, but nothing that looks too summery. Looking forward to autumn!

“…nevertheless, she persisted.”
Esteemed Contributor

@DukeBlueNan wrote:

It's still close to 90 in this part of NC.  So no, not yet.  But I'll be thrilled when the weather gets cooler and STAYS that way.  Always look forward to fall wardrobe.

I pray that you're safe...I have friends that live in Florida and I know NC could be impacted too! Stay safe!!! Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

@1Snickers wrote:

@Sooner  I do the same with very Summery clothes. The florals unless muted look strange. But I ease into the dark colors. White pants are stored. 

Today my friend wore a light lace blouse with black long slacks that were so long they were dragging over her sandals. She was pulling them up and saying how hot they were. 

Since it was a casual place and over 90 degrees I wore beige Bermudas with a beige and blue top. Comfortable!

I put away summery purses but keep medium colored out until the darker ones come out

later. Same with shoes. 

@1Snickers Me too!  I am still wearing capris and crops, but khaki, light green and pale gray rather than white.  The magenta t-shirts and sea green one along with the whites and summer stripes will get folded and put in the top of the closet in the next two weeks.  

Trusted Contributor

NOPE

Being one who prefers feeling cooler, I'll continue with summer clothing & shoes until sometime in Oct.  I don't care about what others think, I prefer comfort over comments.       

Heck, I wear shorts at home during winter each day .. crazy, maybe to others, but again, it's about feeling cooler & comfortable.     Woman Wink