Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone besides me own NO dresses or skirts?

I’m retired but still have a few dresses for church and other occasions.  Sometimes dresses can be more comfortable, no tight waistband, etc. 

Honored Contributor

I have not bought a dress or skirt in ages.  Not because I haven't wanted to!  Last summer I saw so many cute dresses but there was no point in buying any of them as I could not wear the right shoes with them because of my stupid ankle.  I always enjoyed wearing pretty dresses and skirts especially in the warm winter months.  In the winter, I would wear them with tights or wear longer ones with boots and sweaters.  I have kept a few of my favorite dresses and skirts but don't know if I will ever get to wear them again. I now wear only slacks.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh   I haven't worn skirts or dresses in over 20 yrs. At 5'1", I feel pants give me a longer unbroken visual line. I also am somfair, I'd also have to self tan legs...not..or wear stockings...never. Katherine Hepburn always wore pants/trousers. If there's any where or an occasion wear pants are not appropriate, I stay home.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@gidgetgh

Don't wear them nearly as much as I used to, but occasions come up when you least expect them to.

If you need ONE all purpose dress, a good choice is a navy or black v neck sleeveless ....  it can be worn as is in the summer ...  or with a shawl or lacy jacket.   In cooler months, it can be worn with a blazer or sweater over it.   For the holiday season, just pop on a dressy sweater or sequins jacket.  

You can literally get away with owning one all purpose dress for just about every occasion you can think of!  

Image result for black sleeveless sheath dress

@Tinkrbl44- pretty dress, but I could never wear it.  I don't wear sleeveless anything and it's cut too low.  Pretty though.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

I love my dresses and skirts! I have casual, work, and dressy styles. I wear them once or twice a week. I wore a knit skirt with tights, boots, and a sweater to work the other day. I will also wear hose or go bare legged depending on the outfit, weather, and event. I prefer knee length skirts and dresses. My skirts and dresses are more flattering on me than some pants. 

Respected Contributor

I still wear skirts with tights in the winter, and light weight dresses in the summer, but not nearly to the extent that I used to. When I got my first "professional" job out of college, I had to wear skirted suits every day. Over the years I had quite the collection, probably close to 45-50 of them, mostly from Brooks Brothers and some from Talbots. When business casual came around, I still wore the pieces individually, but since I've retired, I've donated most of them and now only have a handful that get worn very rarely. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Esteemed Contributor

I'm retired but was required to wear business suits which I absolutely loved....the day after I retired, they did too and I sent them off to Dress for Success....I almost never wear a dress or skirt.  I travel a lot and go for comfort and my lifestyle is casual....

Valued Contributor

I have tons of both. It's all I wear in the summer.

I love my family, my fur boys, my Jayhawks and accounting!