Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone besides me own NO dresses or skirts?

I got rid of all my suits after retirement.  By now they would either be too small or outdated anyway.  Last year I decided that I need to have a dress on hand just in case I need to go to a funeral.  I bought two black dresses, one of which I can put a sweater or jacket over.  They still hang in the closet with the tags still on.  I guess that's a good thing.  Maybe I'll just save one to wear to my own funeral someday.  lol

Super Contributor

I don't have either ~ I retired 15 years ago.

Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I have many dresses. I could not live through the heat of summer without them. It gets pretty warm where I live in Utah. I like to be out on the deck injoying my beautiful yard. Not hibernating in the house all summer. 

@sweetee2- I'm the OP.  I live in Atlanta..... it gets pretty darn hot here, and humid.  I do fine without dresses and don't hibernate in the house all summer long.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

@Skyegirl21 wrote:

Me too, Almost none!  I Own 1 or 2 dresses for weddings, funerals.  I have pasty white legs and am anti- hosiery, so I live in pants, sometimes shorts if it's super hot in summer.   Also completely done with heels over 2" .  Guess Priorities change as we grow older! 

@Skyegirl21- I have pasty white legs also.  The dress/skirt with not hose look wouldn't be a good one on me, LOL.  I'd HAVE to wear hose to wear a dress but I don't own any hose either!

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I am a girly girl and I like to dress in pretty things. I wear dresses to church and occasionally for an evening out. 

@151949- I dress in pretty things also and wear my jewelry and "full makeup" every day.  My wardrobe just doesn't include dresses.

Honored Contributor

Me!  I hate wearing dresses & skirts!!

However I do have 2 dresses & one skirt that are almost never worn.  I'll even wear flowy, dressy black slacks to a wedding rather than wear a dress.  Depending on the fabric and style you can look very dressy....even dressier than some women wearing a dress.

I have been to several weddings over the last couple of years from casual to black tie and have been seeing more & more women in dressy pants at them.  Those women look more comfortable to me!

I've never been a dress person & never will be!  In the summer I wear lightweight capris most of the time when I go anywhere and shorts around the house.

Honored Contributor

Actually I never thought about it, but I don't either.  When I started my current job three decades ago, I wore dresses, skirts and jumpers more often than pants. Pantyhose was required too.  Now my wardrobe contains slacks and capri pants.

Esteemed Contributor

Me... sorta.  The month after I retired, I donated alllll my dresses and suits to Goodwill.  I kept one black winter suit and one linen summer suit (just in case!).   Both are now so out of style, I couldn't wear them anywhere.  Before summer gets here, I need to go buy a good suit or dress.  I probably won't ever wear it, but should have one.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I have some.  I like to have choice.  I mostly wear pants/jeans. 

I've been going through my things and doing the gathering and donating for the year and I will be donating the dresses and skirts I no longer want to wear.  Shoes, handbags and Jewelry too.  Keeping the garments that are needed for funerals/burials and even that is something that is going the wayside here.  At my late FIL's burial, folks showed up in flip flops and bermudas. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@sweetee2 wrote:

I have many dresses. I could not live through the heat of summer without them. It gets pretty warm where I live in Utah. I like to be out on the deck injoying my beautiful yard. Not hibernating in the house all summer. 

I'm with you. A nice lightweight soft maxi in the summer with a tank top feels better to me than even shorts.