Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anybody wear Birkenstocks?

my 15 year-old granddaughter bought a pair this summer!!!

Honored Contributor

I have worn Birkenstocks in leather since 1979, I have 3 pair of sandals and 2 pair of suede clogs. I do not find the original footbed comfortable anymore, but the soft footbed is fantastic. I buy them on the Birkenstock site, wish the Q would bring them back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Love 'em!  Have for many years. 

I have a very high arch and love the support and all-over comfort.  Plus I enjoy the unique shapes; I like things with character.  8)

Papillio and Birki's have been the best for me so far and they're still available online at Amazon, Ebay, and elsewhere.

Respected Contributor

I probably have at least 30 pairs of Birkenstocks of various styles: sandals, one strap, two straps with an ankle strap, three straps.  Some are suede, leather, plastic, and my dress ones which are black patent leather with crystals.  I also have clogs in patent leather, suede, and leather.  I have been wearing them over 30 years and since I rotate the wearing, they last forever.  I bought many from hsn when they sold them in larger sizes.

I have three pairs of vionics, and although I like them and find them comfortable, they don't hold a candle to my Birkenstocks.

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't wear them as much this summer as I usually do, just because I had a pair of Spenko thong sandals I bought and wore all summer...they've been this year's "go-to" for me; cute & comfortable. But, that said...I still own about 7 pairs of Birki's...some cute ones from when Q carried them, including the "Papillio" line that were a bit more girly and fashionable, vs. the original clunky, "crunchy granola" types. I love them all...so comforable, and supportive. In 2013 when I had a bicycle accident, hurt both knees, and broke a toe...when I'd healed enough to go back to work in a retail store, on my feet for hours...it was my favorite metallic birki's, only, that I could wear and run around in...nothing else. Saved the day. And they wear like iron; all still look like new. Yes, to what other poster said...they are back "in" again with younger people wearing them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goldengate8361  I owned one pair that I purchased from QVC.  They were so hard (the sole) that they were not comfortable.  I ended up throwing away.  I understand the soft sole by them is much better.  I have two pairs of Alegria that are soft/hard and oh, so comfortable.  Bought them on sale the same design but different colors.  Black and rusty brown.  They have round toes which are always best for your feet and an open back. They are not a far out design but rather conservative.  Check them out the brand and look for sales.   Cat Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361  Oh yes, have been wearing Birkenstock's since the late 1960's as my sandal of choice. Have a sizeable collection, but not as many as @Annabellethecat66! We have shared our stories of purchasing our Birk's . . . and how much fun it has been. I'm usually wearing leather or suede Arizona sandals or the toe-loop sandals in leather.  Unlike many, I prefer the original footbed.

Have never been a fan of bling or faux leather so didn't bother ordering many of those  colorful styles carried by QVC, but I ordered by fair share when they had leather styles. The prices were so reasonable! Didn't know Birkenstock offered any plastic footwear.  Learn something new everyday on these threads.

Wear your Birkenstocks with enjoyment and hope your toes heal nicely and timely. Who knows, you may become another fan of these amazing sandals!  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I own one pair...they are leopard print with sparkles...they look great with a bright red pedicure.....very comfortable. My granddaughter asked for a plain tan suede pair for her birthday; she is 16 so I think they are still considered in style. She is quite the fashionista😉.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

P.S.:   

When I worked at a shoe store in the early 2000's, my teen and young adult co-workers  - including the guys - wore them.   The classic "Arizona" sandal and the classic "Boston" clog were what they favored.

There's no "in" or "out" -  or decade or age - when it comes to comfort.

Honored Contributor

I have a small collection of Birkenstocks...some are over 20 years old and I still wear them.

they are comfortable and not ugly at all.  When I remove them my feet are pretty..not distorted by corns, bunions and calluses that some " pretty shoes" cause.