Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anybody else tired of pull up pants?

I have both pull on and zippered pants in my wardrobe. I like them both.  I like choice.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My waist is narrower than my hips so pull on pants don't usually work for me. They're either too big in the waist if I order up to fit my hips or too tight in the hips if I order to fit my waist. A pant with belt loops and a zipper just work better for me, or I have my tailor take in the waist for a better fit. I really love a tailored dress pant with a side zipper because there's no bulk in the front, but sometimes those don't fit both my hips and waist either. 

I'm glad there are choices out there for all of us. I think the casual vibe of dressing the last several years means fewer tailored trousers are being manufactured and are, therefore, more difficult to find. Pull on pants are definitely less expensive and easier to manufacture. I actually wish women could buy pants like men do choosing a waist and inseam. I can do that with my Levi's jeans, but I wish I could do that with trousers. I would get a better fit without always having to use a belt or go to my tailor. 

Honored Contributor

@ellietoo wrote:
I have had it with pull up pants but you cannot find much else! The other thing is that most pants are made to come just below the waistline. Why? The waistline is there to help hold your pants up!! My Levi’s that buttoned at the waist were perfect. Now everything has so much stretch in it that they won’t stay up after a few wearings and washings!

@ellietoo 

My first thought was you may have bought the wrong size.  I have never had happen what you highlighted above. 

Honored Contributor

Even though I wear them, I do have one issue with pull-on pants.

I have narrow hipsand thighs and unless there is very strong elastic in the waistband  ..... I sometimes have a problem keeping the pants up.  

I can never put anything in the pockets - and usually sew them closed.

Just today - I ordered some suspenders from Amazon.  

Super Contributor

No, I am not tired of them.  I prefer them because pull ones do not add bulk to my already bulky tummy.  LOL

Regular Contributor

There are times I like the comfort and ease of pull on pants.  There are times that call for a more stylish trouser.

Esteemed Contributor

Absolutely yes! I bought a pair of Laurie Felt pull on jeans....nope! They're in the donation bin. They keep falling down. I have to have a zipper and button closure at the top. I just don't like elastic waste anything. I don't like the look, because they remind me of Carter's Garanimals clothing for babies years ago. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@millieshops wrote:

I'm on the other side -   just ordered a pair of pull ups yesterday because I wanted something super easy for the many mornings I go nowhere but a walk in the neighborhood.  I live in a super relaxed neighborhood -  women go for the mail and walk their dogs in whatever -- including PJ's and pullups.

I have no jeans or much of anything else pullup, so there must be millions of them available.   QVC has them whether they appear onair or not. 

If I had to guess, I'd say pullups are more forgiving and lead to fewer returns.  I buy the vast majority of my clothes locally, and I doubt I would ever risk buying anything as fitted as a zippered pant - at least not until all the locl stores disappear.

@millieshops 

A LOT of women won't buy something as fitted as a zippered pant - online - because, you are right, there is less margin for error. 

What sense does it make to offer a style of slack that doesn't fit everyone and has, for example, a 63% return rate?  The retailer isn't happy, and customers aren't either, because I doubt they got free shipping both ways.    

Solution?  Offer pants that fit a wider range of customers with fewer fitting issues.    Casual is better.

Trusted Contributor

No! I love sleek looks and do not tuck in tops except for half tucks. If they are falling down on people, they bought the wrong size. I love pull ups but have zippered jeans too. I can’t stand all cotton jeans with no give either. I like some stretch.
Esteemed Contributor

Yes! If they don't have belt loops I'm not interested if they are denim.