Respected Contributor

Re: Any packing tips for me?

[ Edited ]

Another tip: don't put anything valuable in checked luggage.

If luggage is lost, airlines don't have to reimburse passengers for lost money/cash, jewelry, computers, cameras. 

If your luggage doesn't appear, report it before leaving the airport. Airlines have a narrow window for reporting lost luggage (it's 4 hours from arrival time for American, the airline I usually use). Then you have 30 days to make a detailed claim.

Airlines typcally require receipts to prove the cost of lost items, and they only have to compensate at depreciated value.

This is why I put anything valuable in my carry-on, including my favorite/most expensive clothes, computer, cash, medicine.

Not surprisingly, most luggage lost is on connecting flights, or international ones.  

Trusted Contributor

I did not read everyone's tips so if I'm repeating, please just smile.

1) take medication in your purse and take the phone number of your doctor/pharmacy.  So if needed while on travel, you can reach them. Don't keep the items together, meaning, i keep the name/numbers one place and the medication a second place.

2) take extra medication

3) take advil, things you don't normally need just in case

4) take your bank 1800 number in case you need to call them directly

5) take xerox copy of your passport

6) remember to pack maxi pads (in case needed or cycle starts early)

7) take plastic bags for wet clothes, may need a bag to place an item in, food, whatever. sometimes you just need a plastic grocery bag. 

Happiness is ALWAYS an inside job,
Don't assign anyone else that much POWER
in your life!!!
Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Another thought...just for conversation,

if you’re traveling to one location for a period of time,

has anyone used FedEx/UPS to send the large portion of 

items to/from your destination & just use a carryon?

We mailed some of our heavier things home after an extended visit with my MIL. These were items we knew we had duplicates of at home, so we wouldn’t miss them while they were in transit. Our packing supplies and postage cost less than $20, but the excess luggage fee would have been $100. If I remember correctly, we got them a few days after we got home. 

Respected Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

Another tip: don't put anything valuable in checked luggage.

If luggage is lost, airlines don't have to reimburse passengers for lost money/cash, jewelry, computers, cameras. 

If your luggage doesn't appear, report it before leaving the airport. Airlines have a narrow window for reporting lost luggage (it's 4 hours from arrival time for American, the airline I usually use). Then you have 30 days to make a detailed claim.

Airlines typcally require receipts to prove the cost of lost items, and they only have to compensate at depreciated value.

This is why I put anything valuable in my carry-on, including my favorite/most expensive clothes, computer, cash, medicine.

Not surprisingly, most luggage lost is on connecting flights, or international ones.  

Take a digital picture of your luggage before your flight. The airline lost our luggage on our return flight from Hawaii. We spent 10 or 15 minutes going through pages of pictures of suitcases so they could find our luggage. We’d gone home by the time they found it (about 5 miles from the airport). They just dumped it on our front steps in the middle of the night (another reason for putting valuables in your carry-on bag) - no call, text or email. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not a big traveler anymore, but I do agree to lay things out early, and concentrate on one category at a time. 

I always start with underwear/socks/bras as it is easy. 

Think about the climate and what kinds of things you will be doing (all casual, some dress occasions?). 

Unless you are going somewhere exotic or off the beaten path, can you buy things there should you under pack and not 'get it right'?

Make an effort to put together things that are very mix and match, so you have fewer things to take up space, and more choices when you get there. 

Depending on what you are doing, many clothes don't need to be worn only once, remember that and wear appropriate things more than once when you are away from the ability to launder. 

Wash things up when and where you can to keep up with them. Over packing leads to stress, in my opinion. 

Have fun!

Esteemed Contributor

When my friend travels to less developed or poorer counties he packs/wears clothes he no longer really likes or needs and leaves the clothes there to donate or leaves them at the end of his trip in the hotel room for those in need.  He comes home with very little luggage.  Nice.

Honored Contributor

Bought a gauze peasant top yesterday. When I brought it home and washed it I was surprised at how quickly it dried and thought it would be something great to take on vacation.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man