Trusted Contributor

Re: Any other fans of HSN's Helen Keaney who think she's getting a raw deal?

She's not a favorite of mine. She loves to hear herself talk and makes mistakes and has an attitude. I saw her on the other night with a jewelry vendor and she wouldn't let him get a word in. She was constantly interrupting him and throwing jabs at different things he was trying to say and laughing constantly. She's not very professional on air. If she does stand up, then she shouldn't be doing it on the air with vendors and callers.
Honored Contributor

She has another job as a stand-up comic........probably the hours agree with her.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Super Contributor

Sorry, but it bugs the heck out of me when people think the graveyard shift is the lowliest of all positions, and in this case is considered a demotion. To the person who stated she would be making less pay, how would you possible know that to state such a fact? Every shift should make the same amount of money according to position in this business. Which hours you work should not be what affects your pay in a 24 hr./365 day type job as these shows are. That comment to me is ridiculous !

The graveyard shift is just an important as any other. Evidently you are not aware of an entire world of people all over who are awake and either working outside of the home or are awake and productive at home in other forms of work or awakeness. I, for one, have deliberately chosen the night shift for work for decades, as it suites my lifestyle, provides me with special opportunities that other hours don't, I get quicker promotions, and believe it or not in many areas I make more money.

There is a magnanimous world of people up at night who are working or it is before or after work for them and it is their TV time, so shopping channels can benefit greatly.

I can't believe so many people think it a demotion or lower paying job to work night hours. There are many, many hundreds of jobs that can only be done at night.

I can't believe the narrow-mindedness of some people.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for your comments, ladies!

1) Who's talking about boycotting HSN? I've bought quite a bit there this summer because the bargains have been irresistible.

2) In home shopping, the graveyard shift is without question the lowest rung on the ladder. This is where new hosts start out. It is when they sell limited quantities of items because fewer people are watching. Hosts who work days or prime time earn more than hosts who work overnight. They sell a much higher volume of product compared to those on the graveyard shift.

3) It is true that I have no idea whether Helen Keaney asked for these hours. However, I doubt anyone would want them for the reasons I've already stated.

Honored Contributor

It's probably because she is so entertaining......to much yuk yuk gets in the way of selling stuff. You know, her job is to sell and not entertain.
Honored Contributor

HSN can't really seem to get any permanent morning show together. I don't know if they can't find a pairing that works or what is going on.

Helen was doing the morning show with Tamara for awhile. Then they put Guy and Helen together then I think Guy and Tamara.

Then they put Leslie and Brett together and it seemed they were "launching" the new morning show with that pairing. But it was a complete nightmare and now I noticed Brett is gone from that slot and has been replaced by Guy.

I have no idea what happened with Helen. I know she was engaged to be married but I don't know if the wedding has taken place. HSN doesn't promote weddings on air like QVC does.

As far as pay goes, the hosts negotiate their pay through a contract. They aren't making an hourly wage. However, I believe they can negotiate for higher pay if they have higher sales and higher sales would come with better hours. I would bet even if you took a top host like Colleen, her sales numbers would suffer in a graveyard shift over her typical primetime shift.

Honored Contributor

On 8/23/2014 gazelle77 said: I have to admit that she is probably the WORST host they have. Not professional,makes mistakes and she looks sloppy.

I would 100% disagree with your comments. She is one of the better hosts on HSN. The difference between herself and Amy is night and day. Though I'm not a huge Colleen L. "fan" per se, she and Helen are 2 of the most competent hosts on that network. I also like Bill Green and Tamra.

There is another dark-haired host in the early a.m. I've occasionally seen who is also good. Some of the more tenured ones are not as strong as the others I mentioned.

Helen is excellent. I had no idea they moved her, but I was gone for a few weeks and had no QVC/HSN.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Valued Contributor

I totally and thoroughly enjoy Helen.
I love her sense of humor and I think she's
just naturally beautiful. No tons of make-up and fake
lashes, hair and etc..

She's just real. We sure could use more of that!

That's how we roll in the shire..
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I don't watch HSN so have no opinion about the host mentioned, but I think generally we don't know why a particular host anywhere has the hours s/he does UNLESS we're specifically told.

Lots of that is worked out according to contractual obligations which I don't think is my business. These hosts have choices, they have agents, they have lawyers, etc. Unless we know (not guess or think) what's going on, I see no way to make a judgment that a schedule reflects a raw deal.

I hope that host's new schedule reflects her choices - although plenty of us who go to work don't get to choose our favorite hours or assignments all the time.

Frequent Contributor

On 8/25/2014 LipstickDiva said:

HSN can't really seem to get any permanent morning show together. I don't know if they can't find a pairing that works or what is going on.

Helen was doing the morning show with Tamara for awhile. Then they put Guy and Helen together then I think Guy and Tamara.

Then they put Leslie and Brett together and it seemed they were "launching" the new morning show with that pairing. But it was a complete nightmare and now I noticed Brett is gone from that slot and has been replaced by Guy.

I have no idea what happened with Helen. I know she was engaged to be married but I don't know if the wedding has taken place. HSN doesn't promote weddings on air like QVC does.

As far as pay goes, the hosts negotiate their pay through a contract. They aren't making an hourly wage. However, I believe they can negotiate for higher pay if they have higher sales and higher sales would come with better hours. I would bet even if you took a top host like Colleen, her sales numbers would suffer in a graveyard shift over her typical primetime shift.

I think the wedding has been canceled?