Occasional Contributor

Re: Any experienced seamstresses out there? I need some advice..............

Ah. Something I really do know about! The old standby for sewing with knits is to use a narrow zigzag stitch. It allows stretch in the fabric. Also, stretch the fabric slightly when you are stitching.

Two rows of straight stitching will break easily. It looks like the cover stitch used on most knit shirts, but has no stretch.

I personally do not like to use the stretch stitch on a sewing machine. It is actually two stitches forward and one back, creating stretch. However, it is a bear to rip out if you need to. Knit fabrics will go crooked if you aren't careful so ripping is a definite possibility.

I have a serger that has a cover stitch on it. But I still do a zigzag hem occasionally.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any experienced seamstresses out there? I need some advice..............

I certainly appreciate all the suggestions--I'm sure one of them will work. I just have never had the need to hem anything like Liquid Knit or a T-shirt, but they're just making them so long now. I like the look of the shirt showing out from under the bottom of the jacket a little bit, but not several inches. And a slightly shorter style looks better on my body type. Thanks again!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}