Esteemed Contributor

Any experienced seamstresses out there? I need some advice..............

I've been sewing for most of my life..at one time made almost everything I wore, from skirts to blouses, jackets, dresses..... But that was a long time ago, and now I just alter things from time to time when needed. Has anyone shortened any of Susan Graver's liquid knit tops? I have a few that I really like, but I wish they were maybe an inch or two shorter - she makes so many tunic lengths now. I also have a couple of Denim & Co tees that I would like to shorten a little (95 cotton/5 spandex). I want to keep the stretch at the bottom ..thought about elastic thread but have never tried it. My machine does mostly basic stitches, zigzag, etc. and some decorative ones, nothing too fancy. I could do it by hand, but I think it would look better done by machine. Does anyone have any suggestions?? Thanks!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Any experienced seamstresses out there? I need some advice..............

I know you mentioned that you just have basic stitches, but are you sure you don't have a hem or zig zag for knits? My machine is about 35 yrs. old and it has it. Doubler check your book of instructions. And don't forget, you need the needle for knits. Good luck. I am so tired of everything being too long.
Trusted Contributor

I have shortened many knit tops, but none by Susan Graver. I use about 8 stitches per inch and do two rows of straight stitching about 1/8 inch apart. I would use a double needle if I had one. You might try that on an old top to see if it has enough stretch for you.

Do you have a friend who owns a serger? That would work really well.

Don't use elastic thread. It is difficult to get it to work in most sewing machines.

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/11/2014 debcakes said: I know you mentioned that you just have basic stitches, but are you sure you don't have a hem or zig zag for knits? My machine is about 35 yrs. old and it has it. Doubler check your book of instructions. And don't forget, you need the needle for knits. Good luck. I am so tired of everything being too long.

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll check my book when I find it! I've got clothes everywhere, trying to purge, see what needs altering, what needs donating, etc. For me, some of the tunic length tops just look frumpy, and I don't see why they're making so many of them that length. There was a cute striped t-shirt on D & Co today, but they had made it long and put dolman sleeves in it, which definitely would not look good on me. Thanks again.!

Esteemed Contributor

On 3/11/2014 sandy53 said:

I have shortened many knit tops, but none by Susan Graver. I use about 8 stitches per inch and do two rows of straight stitching about 1/8 inch apart. I would use a double needle if I had one. You might try that on an old top to see if it has enough stretch for you.

Do you have a friend who owns a serger? That would work really well.

Don't use elastic thread. It is difficult to get it to work in most sewing machines.

Is it the two rows of stitching that makes it stretchy? I could do that, and I think my machine may have the double needle capability. I haven't used it much except for just taking up pants legs that are too wide or hemming jeans, etc. Funny you mention a serger, I had forgotten I bought a small one several years ago and never figured out how to use it. Would that do the trick if I could figure it out??

Super Contributor

You should page the poster, Kathleen. She is a seamstress and she can help you. hth.

Respected Contributor

kittymom, I have a thirty-five year old Montgomery Ward sewing machine and it has a stretch stitch, but it is tricky. (Back off everyone, I know you're envious.) You've got to get the tension setting exactly right and use the right size needle or it pushes the fabric down into the feed dog.

Super Contributor

You need to use a walking foot with a stretch stitch, also a piece do stabilizer will help otherwise, the fabric will stretch too much whole being sewn.
Respected Contributor

On 3/11/2014 luvingit said: You need to use a walking foot with a stretch stitch, also a piece do stabilizer will help otherwise, the fabric will stretch too much whole being sewn.

Is that the foot that is larger, rectangular, and has a cut out middle? I never knew what to do with that thing. I thought I was for embroidery.

Super Contributor

Neither of those fabrics have enough stretch in them to do anything special. A double needle would give you a more "factory" finish, but your sewing machine tension has to be just right or you'll be fighting thread tangles. A serger just finishes the edge.-, but knits don't ravel so it's not really necessary for a hem that won't show. Make sure you have at least 1"-1 1/4" hem allowance, put pins in fairly close- that way you can make sure both layers are feeding at the same speed. Have a slightly longer stitch length and just barely push the fabric into the machine as you sew. That builds in a little ease in the stitches and keeps the hem from ruffling.