Honored Contributor
On 2/10/2015 VaBelle35 said:

I learned about those settings the hard way ;o)

And you all jinxed my sale! LOL My sale ended and I just knew the high bidder earlier this morning who had 0 feedback (but has been a member since May 2014 and has one ugly item for sale that is in bad shape) would win.

Sure enough, she won and promptly sent me a pathetic email about how "something came up" and she wants me to cancel the sale.

That's frustrating. I've never had that happen to me, but I don't sell that much. I always have about ten things for sale all the time, but that's all. I did have someone win once that lived in Asia, and I had to cancel the sale.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

You know what people went crazy for? My used Silpats. I switched over to Doughmakers cookie sheets, so I had 4 more silpats than I would need going forward. I thought, what the heck. Throw them up for $.01 and $3 flat shipping and see what happens.

Seriously. You can buy them anywhere, and at Bed Bath & Beyond with your 20% off. Yet people were killing themselves bidding. I had 57 bids on one of them. I had 4 for sale.

You would think I was selling gold or something.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Had one buyer who didn't pay at all... eBay opened a case and cancelled it for me. However, this did delay the listing... which could be a "tactic" for someone selling the same item. I think eBay has been very fair with me, and people who "pull stunts" are found out and blocked. It might be a vicious circle for ebay these days, tho.

Still, I have found their system to be very buyer-sensitive and so far, seller-sensitive, too. My previous career/job experiences have been so fraught with obstacles to being productive that this seems nice. Right now I'm waiting for two buyers to pay... but in a case a couple of years ago, when I was the buyer, eBay suspended their account until they credited me for an item never sent/received.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

People are smart and know how to work around the system.

I am in HR. I say every day that I wish some of our employees would use their brilliance for good instead of evil ;O)

VaBelle, I was in HR for many years also. And I understand exactly what you mean! Smile

Esteemed Contributor

You know what people went crazy for? My used Silpats. I switched over to Doughmakers cookie sheets, so I had 4 more silpats than I would need going forward. I thought, what the heck. Throw them up for $.01 and $3 flat shipping and see what happens.

Seriously. You can buy them anywhere, and at Bed Bath & Beyond with your 20% off. Yet people were killing themselves bidding. I had 57 bids on one of them. I had 4 for sale.

You would think I was selling gold or something.

You may not believe this, but last year I was buying some Huggable Hangers on eBay, and established a good rapport with this one seller. She was responding to a question, and in the message, she was so excited she could hardly contain herself. Someone had paid $371.00 for a set of Huggable Hangers and garment bags on one of her auctions, that they could have gotten all day long for around $50.00 on eBay and maybe $65 on HSN! She was worried that they might have made a mistake and cancel it, but I kept checking and apparently it went through. I told my son about it, and he almost didn't believe me. I can't imagine what that buyer was thinking. {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Honored Contributor

I guess this is the place to add what PayPal does... it defaults to withdraw funds from my bank account (we thought it was being used as our credit card). Did I think the service was free? Well, I figured someone paid for it, but not me. So, I have been going thru the series of steps to prevent them going straight for our checking account! This seems rather "unethical" to me... I had to dig to find this out... I should have not given them our checking acct information, which they said was needed to make us "verified." Should have asked more questions... ticks me off a bit.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Contributor
I am selling on eBay and yes it is ver buyer oriented, you can set your account to just ship/sell within the US, that will keep some bad buyers away, however there are a lot of non-paying bidders now and since eBay implemented the return policy it seems a lot of buyers like to return items for whatever reason. It is not like it used to be selling on eBay
Honored Contributor

I've sold on eBay off and on since around 2000/2002. Ebay has changed A Lot. I started again around 4 years ago to supplement our retirement and quickly realized that I was not going to offer returns. I sell some wonderful high-end designer handbags and was not about to "rent" them to someone and then have the customer demand a return and receive an item back that has obviously been used, which lowers the price when I relist.

I understand that eBay will make me refund if it's not as described or another problem with the sale, but I've only had one customer demand a refund and then open a Dispute and eBay sided with ME! She did NOT get a refund and had to keep the handbag. And on top of that... a friend of mine found out that this buyer was selling fake designer bags on another site and one of those bags was identical to my authentic one~! So you have to also be careful of scammers. From then on I've attached a wrist tag (like the ones you get at a party store or wear at a concert) and hand write my eBay ID, a description of the item and date. They shred apart when taken off and can't be reattached! Switching authentic designer items with a fake is a huge scam

So... after about a year I decided to only offer Buy It Nows with Immediate Payment. ... the person interested CAN Buy It Now but ONLY if they are willing to pay with Paypal the moment they hit the button, which includes cash in their account or their credit card on file. No payment, no sale and my item stays up.

I will not "hold" an item for anyone either (they promise to pay in 5 days when they get paid)... but that has never (not once) happened! I also can't afford to offer free shipping, but I do discount it quite a bit and try to send them all Priority. Right now I'm a Bronze seller. l also opened a Store. I have about 120 - 150 items up at once because the more I have up for sale, the better percentages I have for a sale. A store makes sense to me and even though I pay monthly for it (you can get a lower yearly rate) I'm happy with the option and get 150 free listings a month.

My life has been SO much easier without having to beg customers to pay me! I don't offer returns, but I'm very eager to work with the customer and make it right for them, and have on many occasions. I love selling on eBay, but it takes constant reworking of items, search words, photos and listing descriptions to make sure I haven't missed a disclosure or something descriptive that's important.

Good luck to you....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Respected Contributor

Ebay isn't any good anymore. I won't sell or buy any longer. Their ""heyday"" is over!

Honored Contributor
On 2/10/2015 Q4U said:

I've sold on eBay off and on since around 2000/2002. Ebay has changed A Lot. I started again around 4 years ago to supplement our retirement and quickly realized that I was not going to offer returns. I sell some wonderful high-end designer handbags and was not about to "rent" them to someone and then have the customer demand a return and receive an item back that has obviously been used, which lowers the price when I relist.

I understand that eBay will make me refund if it's not as described or another problem with the sale, but I've only had one customer demand a refund and then open a Dispute and eBay sided with ME! She did NOT get a refund and had to keep the handbag. And on top of that... a friend of mine found out that this buyer was selling fake designer bags on another site and one of those bags was identical to my authentic one~! So you have to also be careful of scammers. From then on I've attached a wrist tag (like the ones you get at a party store or wear at a concert) and hand write my eBay ID, a description of the item and date. They shred apart when taken off and can't be reattached! Switching authentic designer items with a fake is a huge scam

So... after about a year I decided to only offer Buy It Nows with Immediate Payment. ... the person interested CAN Buy It Now but ONLY if they are willing to pay with Paypal the moment they hit the button, which includes cash in their account or their credit card on file. No payment, no sale and my item stays up.

I will not "hold" an item for anyone either (they promise to pay in 5 days when they get paid)... but that has never (not once) happened! I also can't afford to offer free shipping, but I do discount it quite a bit and try to send them all Priority. Right now I'm a Bronze seller. l also opened a Store. I have about 120 - 150 items up at once because the more I have up for sale, the better percentages I have for a sale. A store makes sense to me and even though I pay monthly for it (you can get a lower yearly rate) I'm happy with the option and get 150 free listings a month.

My life has been SO much easier without having to beg customers to pay me! I don't offer returns, but I'm very eager to work with the customer and make it right for them, and have on many occasions. I love selling on eBay, but it takes constant reworking of items, search words, photos and listing descriptions to make sure I haven't missed a disclosure or something descriptive that's important.

Good luck to you....

I would like to do that, too. How do you set it up for immediate payment only? I know how to do the Buy It Now only and have a few items for sale like that right now. I've always said payment is required within three days. It always amazes me that people don't pay immediately. I'm always so anxious to get something that I pay the minute I win the item.

That's a great idea to put the tag on your items.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau