Contributor

Any Info on Catawba Socks... or Suggestions

Hi,
My daughter needs socks for winter that will keep feet very warm. The Catawba socks on QVC are very popular.

Have any of you had these socks? If so, do you like them? Are they tight around the leg?

I would appreciate any suggestions for winter socks.
Thanks so much
Honored Contributor

Re: Any Info on Catawba Socks... or Suggestions

I’ve worn them for years.  They’re about all I wear in winter.  For the money, I find them to be the warmest socks I’ve tried.  Even though I can’t wear most wool, these don’t bother me, probably because their wool content isn’t that high.  They do shrink some when washed and dried, but I have to admit I often wash and dry them with warm/hot water and in the warmer dryer cycles.   

However, I will say that the pairs I have purchased in the last few years are thinner and don’t last as long as the ones I bought years ago.  (They get holes in them much faster.)  Also, I’ve read some reviews that certain colors seem to wear out much faster than other colors.  I have only bought the solids—black and gray.

But all in all, I like them.

That’s been my experience, if it helps any.

Honored Contributor

I own the set of 3 boot socks and they are very warm. On my average calf they stay up but there is a slight indentation where the top of the sock comes on my leg. They don't feel tight and are comfortable. They are pretty thick so you have to choose appropriate footwear to wear with the socks. My shoe size is 7 and the medium size socks fit perfectly. They launder nicely with minimal shrinkage. @rybaby

Contributor

Thank you so much for your information. I think I will try these socks.
Honored Contributor

I've worn the Wigwam brand socks, got them at Costco but maybe they can also be found elsewhere. I find them to be warm and comfortable.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@rybaby

My vote goes to Smartwool.  They are expensive, but they last and you can buy them in different thicknesses, if that is important to you.