Honored Contributor

Re: Another company is ready to bite the dust: Banana Republic

I remember when BR had the Jeep just inside it's store with the sand and the rocks. The clothing was very well made, rugged, sportwear and was great for camping, outdoors, etc.  Love it. I knew so many who shopped there for good, solid "play" clothing.

Then... it all changed and for the worse. That was when BR lost its way and the decline began.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam  Hello. BR at first tried to be like J Crew & then they turned around & said they needed to be different from J Crew to make their own mark. Bad management decisions, poor designing and not knowing who their customers were led to the downfall. Sound familiar?

Valued Contributor

I miss the old Banana Republic - the original safari gear, maps on the wall, go-to place for cargo shorts, cotton tees, and fun print camp shirts. Since they did the complete overhaul (25 ? years ago?) I'll bet I haven't been in there five times. They went from unique and fun to just another boring sterile environment with clothing that could be found in a dozen other stores. That makeover never made any sense to me.

Honored Contributor

An article I read said it happened when the Gap took over and in 1988, brought in new management; that was the kiss of death for BR. Around since 1977, BR was doing well until Gap purchased them.

J. Crew was uber preppy at one point but then it changed as well. I don't know what happened but the bulk of GREAT stores I remember from the 80's did a left turn down Disaster Street in the late 80's early 90' s.... what the heck happened for so many to change so badly and all at once it seems?!

Respected Contributor

Banana republic was my go to store for 15-20 years.
I miss it a lot and I have so many beautiful suits, leather pieces, sweaters, pants..sadly, I have not been able to relate to that store in the past year. 🙁.
Esteemed Contributor

@TY, your comment about Old Navy being busy makes me recall when the store was new on State Street in Chicago.  On my first visit, the place was so crowded that I went into a panic anxiety attack. I was frozen still for what felt like a long time before I ran out of the place.  In hindsight it's something I can laugh at because I'm no shrinking violet in crowded stores, so Old Navy must have been quite a wild scene. They've since moved into a multi-level larger space (thank God), but it's still always very crowded.   I only go in if an item I would like to purchase is not available online in my size. Pyjamas, specifically pants and shorts are something I shop for frequently at Old Navy.  The quality is decent and the price is very low.  I live in PJ pants and shorts at home, and feel it's a category where going inexpensive makes sense.