Honored Contributor

Re: An 88 year old trendsetter on Instagram....

@Nonametoday wrote:

The most interesting part of this whole thing is that most people do not live to be 88 years of age and of those who do, many are in nursing homes drooling and have no idea who or what they are.

Tell me.  You know, you guarantee that you will live to be 88 and you will dress as conservatively and nicely and elegantly as you do now or will you be sitting in a wheelchair asking when is the sun going down because the lights are on.  Live and let live.  

This woman has reached an age not many reach and if she is having fun dressing like this, why do you begrudge it? Just please tell me why you would want to deprive her of her fun or make light of her because she is enjoying life in what may be the last day of her life or the last week.  She is not going to live much longer.  Why make light of what makes her happy.

And why do these rude people on here keep saying such as "old lady scowls," and referring to clothing as "old lady clothes" and then make fun of a woman age 88 who dresses more youthful.  

That isn't "youthful" dressing. It is someone eccentric who likes attention. Well, she got it. Doesn't mean it is all going to be unicorns and roses. Many people will see it as just strange.

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

The most interesting part of this whole thing is that most people do not live to be 88 years of age and of those who do, many are in nursing homes drooling and have no idea who or what they are.

Tell me.  You know, you guarantee that you will live to be 88 and you will dress as conservatively and nicely and elegantly as you do now or will you be sitting in a wheelchair asking when is the sun going down because the lights are on.  Live and let live.  

This woman has reached an age not many reach and if she is having fun dressing like this, why do you begrudge it? Just please tell me why you would want to deprive her of her fun or make light of her because she is enjoying life in what may be the last day of her life or the last week.  She is not going to live much longer.  Why make light of what makes her happy.

And why do these rude people on here keep saying such as "old lady scowls," and referring to clothing as "old lady clothes" and then make fun of a woman age 88 who dresses more youthful.  

That isn't "youthful" dressing. It is someone eccentric who likes attention. Well, she got it. Doesn't mean it is all going to be unicorns and roses. Many people will see it as just strange.

And the 63yr old who looks well beyond that trying too hard ...she's  not edgy or sexy or any of the things that photoshoot and article are trying to project she looks

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Nonametoday wrote:

No one is trying tpo deprive her of anything they just may not be on the'oh she looks great" bandwagon She can be anything she wants and others can have an opinion

She doesn't have to care abiut that opinion but no one has the right to declare " just because" they too should think its so wonderful because she does. She's 88 that great but how do you know how long she's going to live??????

She put it out on instagram for God's sake so  she wants attention -opinions come with that

Look at me!  comes with people looking at you!

Honored Contributor

I guess when Victoria Beckham reaches a certain age,  people will stop commenting' on the fact 'she doesn't smile. But until then it's ok.... so have at it

Honored Contributor

Lyn Slater is An Icon

This from the Today Show

Lyn Slater remembers the exact moment she became, as she calls it, an "accidental icon."

It was New York City Fashion Week, and she was outside Lincoln Center wearing a Yohji Yamamoto suit and carrying a Chanel bag as she waited to meet a friend for lunch.

Lyn Kennedy SlaterFashion blogger Lyn Slater struts her stuff in an all-black ensemble. Calvin August Lom / Courtesy of Calvin August Lom

"All of a sudden these photographers started to surround me and take pictures of me," Slater, 63, told TODAY Style. "A couple of journalists from Japan had approached me and were asking questions. Tourists started to see this and thought, 'That must be some important person in fashion!' so they started to take pictures of me. I had a huge crowd of people around me."

"I was absolutely hysterical about it," said Slater, a professor at Fordham University's Graduate School of Social Service. "My friend and I started laughing. We were like, oh my gosh, you're an accidental icon! And I thought that would be the perfect name for my blog."

Now Slater's blog, Accidental Icon, has taken off in a big way — in fact, today it was announced that she has signed to ELITE London's Special Bookings division. Slater writes about fashion and beauty on the blog, focusing on lesser-known designers and brands she truly cares about while showcasing gorgeous photos of her unique looks.

"Ever since I was really small I understood how clothing could help you express your aspirations, or help you be someone in the world that you wanted to be, so I would always have this sort of unique take on whatever I was wearing," Slater said.

RELATED: Meet the 60-year-old male model who's taking fashion by storm

"I think my relationship to clothing has always been — and I use this word a lot — performative," she added.

Slater favors Japanese designers Yamamoto and Rei Kawakubo: "They're my base wardrobe; I style around them."

Of course, Slater's blog also stands out in other ways — it's not every day you see a 63-year-old blogger killing it in the fashion world. Yet fans of Accidental Icon will notice Slater doesn't dwell on her age.

Lyn Kennedy Slater
Slater, 63, is a university professor and runs a fashion blog called Accidental Icon. Courtesy of Calvin August Lom

"I never talk about age on my blog; I never put myself out there as an older person," she said.

And interestingly, her largest group of followers is between the ages of 25 and 35, according to Slater's research.

RELATED: 'Life definitely begins over 50': Nicola Griffin, 56, is now a lingerie model

"I get a lot of emails from younger people saying ... you're making us feel like getting old is fun and cool, and that you can do whatever you want at whatever age," she said. "A lot of the comments on my Instagram are 'life goals.'"

"We are the generation, people my age, who were burning their bras, wanting free love, demonstrating against the war," Slater continued. "So to think we wouldn't challenge the status quo of aging? It might be more of an explanation of why women like me are becoming more accepted in the fashion world."

Sure enough, there is a trend toward embracing older women in advertising: recent campaigns have featured writer Joan Didion (82) and actresses Jane Birkin (70) and Vanessa Redgrave (80).

As Slater sees it, it's none too soon.

"It's time for a new outlook on what it means to be an older woman," she said.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

No one is saying that anybody of any age cannot dress how they choose, have fun if they choose, enjoy life if they choose, some of us are saying that we don't understand what the trend is that is being set by these examples.   Cyndi Lauper, Punky Brewster, Madanna, Lady Gaga, Ronald McDonald, lots of "people" have dressed in outrageous costumes throughout the years.

Some embrace the look, some find it silly and would find it inappropriate for grandma to show up at the grandson's college graduation  or a family funeral dressed thusly.  It would place the attention of her not the planned event.

Attention is, in many instances, what is sought.

To each his (her) own.  Wishing all a long, happy, fun-filled life.

I just don't feel, as some of the articles state, that this look is embracing what it means to be an older woman.   At least, I hope not.

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Didn’t know who Lyn Slater was....interesting story.

9896C9A0-5A64-4C4D-A6F7-94BF02315B77.jpeg

9666A6B9-3F70-42FD-B909-DF76D1DA6FB3.jpeg59FC92E6-A0D3-4D6F-8263-48C6E12916B8.jpeg

CDDF12C4-F3BD-4D73-9BC9-55234B494A3C.jpeg

4DFDAEC0-DB6C-468F-A2E5-5252C42AA124.jpeg

I think "she" looks like a "he". 

Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I guess when Victoria Beckham reaches a certain age,  people will stop commenting' on the fact 'she doesn't smile. But until then it's ok.... so have at it

Well then, Beckham will look a decade older than she really is just like Lyn Slater. I was shocked she is 63. I had her pegged as early 70s.  The severe hairstyle and scowl do not flatter her.

Respected Contributor

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

If the "trendsetter" (that the title of the thread says this woman is) is having fun and enjoying your life, that's fabulous for this 88 year old.  But I thought this was about fashion and I also don't think she gets a pass for this awful outfit just because she's old, not in a fashion sense I don't.  In a "joie de vivre" kind of way, sure, if she is indeed happy and enjoying her latter years, well, kudos to her for sure!

As far as the 63 year old, I mentioned her "scowly" look because that's what she's got in the pics here.  I didn't call it an "old lady scowl" (did anyone?), just that she looked scowly.  I don't think it helped that she's wearing dark red lipstick on her already thin lips.  And I had the nerve to say she looks quite a lot older than she is.  Is she past the age where criticism is allowed?  If she puts herself out there as a fashion trendsetter then I guess she should be open to criticism, just as a young woman would be.

I am the guilty one.

I called it an old lady scowl because it looks like the "just ate a lemon" expression some older women have. I'm the same age as she is, so it's not ageism.  It's just a very unattractive way of holding the mouth. Maybe too tense and rigid would be a better way of describing it. You don't often see young women looking so angry.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I know lots of people my age,  and none of them, or myself , look that bad @Ms tyrion2

I don't think she has a feminine looking face at all.. Someone said she looked like a guy ,and I think so too