Respected Contributor

Re: An 88 year old trendsetter on Instagram....

Professor Slater, in my opinion, looks much, much older than 63.

Respected Contributor

As for the 88 year old, I say good for her!  Yes, a lot of us may not dress like that when we get to be her age but who are we to judge how someone else dresses?  To each their own. Life is so short and she is 88 after all.  I think it is marvelous that she is having fun, and is happy and to heck with everyone else!!!  Love it!  With all the misery in the world, I bet she puts a smile on many faces.   I know she did mine.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I'm happy to see the 88 year old enjoying life. She seems genuinely happy and it's cool that she does Instagram.

@San Antonio Gal  I agree.  For goodness sakes, if you make it to that age and are able to dress yourself, who gives a rat's fear.  I think she is a cutie patoootie.  I would not do it but I probably will not live to be that age and if I do, I probably will not know what day of the week it is.

Honored Contributor

Props to anyone of a certain age who stays involved, interested and interesting... No props to anyone, regardless of age, who dresses to look ridiculous... Not seeing any trendsetters here I'd want to follow...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

Not my style, but I think the 88 year old would be fun to hang out with. 

Honored Contributor

The most interesting part of this whole thing is that most people do not live to be 88 years of age and of those who do, many are in nursing homes drooling and have no idea who or what they are.

Tell me.  You know, you guarantee that you will live to be 88 and you will dress as conservatively and nicely and elegantly as you do now or will you be sitting in a wheelchair asking when is the sun going down because the lights are on.  Live and let live.  

This woman has reached an age not many reach and if she is having fun dressing like this, why do you begrudge it? Just please tell me why you would want to deprive her of her fun or make light of her because she is enjoying life in what may be the last day of her life or the last week.  She is not going to live much longer.  Why make light of what makes her happy.

And why do these rude people on here keep saying such as "old lady scowls," and referring to clothing as "old lady clothes" and then make fun of a woman age 88 who dresses more youthful.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

If I was 88 years old and in good health and dressed like this lady why not at least she is 6 foot above ground she smiling, she’s happy, she’s on Instagram and she makes people smile.  Nothing is wrong with that. Who knows maybe she dressed conservative years ago and now it’s her time to let her hair down. If I could live to 88 I could care less what anybody thinks. Kudos to her.

Respected Contributor

To be a instagram sensation, especially at 88, you need a hook.  This is hers and it is working for her.  God Bless her for even having the energy for all of that attention.  I wish I had half of it now. 😆 

I dont know about a trendsetter, at least I hope this isnt the trend being set, however, maybe in the notion that she will inspire others to be more active.  Showing others life doesnt end just because you get older. 

Good for her for being happy. 

Honored Contributor

Just because someone is old, doesn't make you mean, or rude ,if you don't like the way they dress

Lots of people make comments about younger women's clothing, that indicates they don't like it.It looks silly, cheap, vulgar, and ugly. Since when does being old, give you an automatic must like? I am well on the way to being ancient ,I will be 72 in 2 months, and if I thinik something looks bad I am free to say so, and so is everyone else.

As an old person, commenting about another old person, I wouldn't wear anything I have seen on this thread.

I don't expect to get bouquets thrown at me, just because I reach a certain age.  I get sick of  some old people, thinking everyone young ,is rude or  nasty ,to the elderly. I have seen lots of cracks about younger people ,that are uncalled for, and untrue, by  people on this board...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If the "trendsetter" (that the title of the thread says this woman is) is having fun and enjoying your life, that's fabulous for this 88 year old.  But I thought this was about fashion and I also don't think she gets a pass for this awful outfit just because she's old, not in a fashion sense I don't.  In a "joie de vivre" kind of way, sure, if she is indeed happy and enjoying her latter years, well, kudos to her for sure!

As far as the 63 year old, I mentioned her "scowly" look because that's what she's got in the pics here.  I didn't call it an "old lady scowl" (did anyone?), just that she looked scowly.  I don't think it helped that she's wearing dark red lipstick on her already thin lips.  And I had the nerve to say she looks quite a lot older than she is.  Is she past the age where criticism is allowed?  If she puts herself out there as a fashion trendsetter then I guess she should be open to criticism, just as a young woman would be.