Trusted Contributor

I wonder if the half tuck or knot is because the clothes she has to show are just too big for her.  Amy is very tiny and in my opinion most items she models are just too long and wide for her in general.  She's probably doing what she can to not make them just hang on herself like a paper bag.

Honored Contributor

A lot of times a full tuck cuts a person in half seeming larger than she really is.  I have half tucked or knotted tops at the side going way back.  I find that this gives me a really great look without seeming pudgy (even though I am not - now size 12) with a large bust and short torsoed thick waist.  Even when I was really thin that combo often made me seem a bit chubby at times.  

Trusted Contributor

I believe the half tuck trend is the result of the proliferation of leggings and skinny pants, where women want coverage in the back, but not the volume in the front which cuts the body in half, and can look unbalanced, or frumpy. Half tucking provides asymmetry which lengthens the body visually and accentuates the leg and the waist.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Is it really that important?

@Katcat1   Is any post on this board ever that important?

Respected Contributor

Now they're making shirts and blouses with the twist already made in so there's no half tucking needed. This is one trend I'm skipping because as a larger plus size with a belly, all the tops I wear are tunic length and I don't feel comfortable or flattering wearing tucked in tops or tops that are less than 28 inches in length. The look is great on lots of women, just not me. 

Honored Contributor

Just bought a shirt that simulates a half tuck with a "knot" in the center of the hem

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

Is anything on this forum really that important?  Lol. chill.

Honored Contributor

Re: Amy's half tuck

[ Edited ]

@Pearlee wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Katcat1   Is any post on this board ever that important?

@Pearlee, true. And I'd pot/kettle here. I'm sure that we've all started threads that were of minimal to no importance.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Love to Run wrote:

I believe the half tuck trend is the result of the proliferation of leggings and skinny pants, where women want coverage in the back, but not the volume in the front which cuts the body in half, and can look unbalanced, or frumpy. Half tucking provides asymmetry which lengthens the body visually and accentuates the leg and the waist.

@Love to Run 

Exactly! that and those darn long a** tunics! lol

A simple tuck can knock off  (the look of) 10 pounds! especially if you're an hourglass like myself. Defining the waist always takes off inches...

Respected Contributor

A long time ago when I was young we wore skirts and blouses to school.  That darned shirt had to be tightly tucked in.  We were forever pushing our blouses down to get the right look, otherwise we appeared sloppy.  The body suit ended that problem only to bring new ones such as going to the bathroom!   So, considering how hard we worked to look neat, the half tuck just looks sloppy.