Regular Contributor

Re: Amy calling Lori....Laura?

On 3/31/2015 faeriemoon said:
On 3/31/2015 HomeShoppingLover87 said:
On 3/31/2015 HomeShoppingLover87 said:
On 3/30/2015 January121 said: Amy mispronounces so many words and doesn't even try to correct herself ... I am surprised that she got the job as a host ... speaking is a main part of the job and a host should be able to speak clearly which Amy does not .. when she is on I turn QVC off !!

I was "scolded" for bringing Amy's speech shortcomings up on the boards. Apparently she has a speech impediment that she has addressed on air.

It still bugs me to listen to her. So I don't.{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I have wondered about her having a speech impediment, but never heard her talk about it, so that's enlightening. That's probably why Lori hasn't corrected her (or maybe she has, for all we know, just not on air), but it still doesn't make it OK for people without speech impediments to shorten or altogether change a person's name or pronunciation because they bizarrely believe that it's OK as long as the name is in the same general category (L names, as one of the above posters seems to think are all interchangeable).

Just curious, were you scolded by the hall monitor-esque PC police on this board, or did QVC actually contact you?

No; it was a hall monitor. But I was complaining about the words she has problems with (words ending in "ld".) Rather than "cold" she says "code", rather than "called", she says "cawed', etc. Had I known she had an issue I wouldn't have brought it up. However, that doesn't stop me from being bothered by it, and I still find it weird that she got hired with that kind of issue.

Anyway, it seems to be my problem, not hers, so generally I don't watch her.

She seems like a lovely person, though. Smile

The "Cowd" thing is what caught my attention, too. I guess I somehow just thought it was a thing she did, not an actual speech impediment.

I'm getting really tired of the hall monitors; Say anything that's not a glowing commendation of someone and you'll get reported. My thread the other day daring to say that the model Helen was not "classically dropdead gorgeous" (which many of QVCs models aren't - I thought that was the point, to appeal to the everywoman shopper), but not calling her a hideous crone or something, and that was actually defending her because I felt bad that Jamie always treats her like a child and overcompensates with all these compliments she doesn't give anyone else, got poofed, with all these posters saying I was cruel for deriding her appearance? We've gotten so PC (and also shallow, somewhat ironically) as a society that it's now apparently borderline hate speech to acknowledge that a woman isn't stunningly beautiful.

I'm glad most of the models aren't "drop dead gorgeous" since most of us are just regular people looking for clothes that will look good on us.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I know, right? But some people are so touchy about appearances; Every woman is beautiful (No, they aren't; By its very definition, not every person or even most people can be considered "beautiful"), and if you politely say otherwise without resorting to name-calling or harsh specifics about their features, you're cast as some cyber-villain. It's really quite ridiculous.

Valued Contributor

I did not mean to insult anyone....the gym is good for everyone to calm down. It' not healthy to get upset over nothing. Sorry if you feel offended, I did not mean to do that.

Respected Contributor

You were just stating your opinion teapots. But apparently it's not acceptable to say anything that doesn't agree with the few posters who insist on viewing comments from a negative viewpoint. Best to just state your view and move on to another subject.

Respected Contributor

On 3/31/2015 Clover29 said:

I watch with the mute button on and couldn't care less what any of them say or how they pronounce the various words that get some people so steamed up.

Me too Clover but that's not acceptable to many. I do focus on how my own family expresses themselves, however.

Honored Contributor

She shouldn't rest on her Laurels.

Super Contributor

"If you don't like someone, the way he holds his spoon will make you furious; if you do like him, he can turn his plate over in your lap and you won't mind."

Respected Contributor

This board scares me sometimes.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Super Contributor

On 3/31/2015 Karnerblue said:

Only sometimes?!?

Regular Contributor

On 3/31/2015 HiLo said:

You were just stating your opinion teapots. But apparently it's not acceptable to say anything that doesn't agree with the few posters who insist on viewing comments from a negative viewpoint. Best to just state your view and move on to another subject.

She stated her opinion quite rudely; But I do appreciate her apology, and realize that sometimes comments come out worse than they are meant when the Internet is involved. In this case, however, I'm not sure what you mean by me insisting on viewing things from a negative viewpoint. How else would a comment saying "What a stupid post, who cares?" be interpreted.

Respected Contributor

On 3/31/2015 PenneyT said:
On 3/31/2015 Karnerblue said:

Only sometimes?!?

Moreso than not. I did lurk for a very long time just reading information. There were many times I wanted to join in but quite honestly it's very intimidating. I have to think and rethink what I would like to say because I'm so afraid someone will be angered. Most times I just say to myself ""nevermind.""

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."