Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon is devouring other e-commerce clothing retailers

I check Amazon and Zappos for clothing when I'm looking for a specific size/color for an item I've seen at a regular department store and it's not available.  I sometimes get lucky with these.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

I haven't shopped through Amazon for clothing, but I have for shoes. Hundreds of name brands. I wonder if shoes are included in the stats.

Yes, shoes are included in the statistics. I would even guess that shoes are one of the main things that people buy online from Amazon and probably was one of the first items of apparel that people first bought from them.

Honored Contributor

I'm one of the people who will be sad if Amazon becomes such a behemoth that other companies just cannot compete with them because I still like to shop locally for many things, particularly clothing and shoes.  Almost free shipping does make ordering and returning more economically feasible, but I still dislike the process.    I suspect I won't be able to ignore Amazon forever, but I haven't missed it much at all in the 3 years since I cancelled my Prime membership. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

The clothing is trashy.  The fit is horrible.  I ordered a pair of Natori pajamas which I usually get from Dillard's.  I ordered my regular size.  The pants were perfect and the top was big enough for 4-5 people my size.  It looked like a bedsheet with raglan arms.  I tried ordering my grandchildren some Northface (I think that is what it is and some other brands they liked (boys) and they were very poor quality, even compared to what you get at TJ Maxx, not the same quality as is sold at B&M.  I ordered a handbag (over $100, small tiny bag) from there that was supposed to be genuine leather and it smelled like Wal-Mart tire shop.  It was so sickening of that chemical smell that I had an asthma attack.  Do not order clothing from WalMart.  It is trash).  

Honored Contributor

@TYwrote:

@Ms tyrion2wrote:

I haven't shopped through Amazon for clothing, but I have for shoes. Hundreds of name brands. I wonder if shoes are included in the stats.

Yes, shoes are included in the statistics. I would even guess that shoes are one of the main things that people buy online from Amazon and probably was one of the first items of apparel that people first bought from them.

Zappo is a part of Amazon as is 6 pm so they may have included those stats as well.  Zappo is a decent store.  I buy electronics from Amazon and such as that, but beware about buying any food product.  They can run several times the price of what you pay for them in your local grocer.  I did that one year with some products I needed quickly when I was sick and wanted several items and needed it by a certain date and I could get it from Amazon and not have to go out in the cold.  I purchased the same at the grocer a few months later for about 1/4 the price I paid at Amazon.  Some things are comparable while others may be a bit pricier than you thought.  Just like TJM and the other discount houses, it's buyer beware. P.S.  I would never buy dog food there.  Never.  I have heard about labor practices and that too worries me.

Esteemed Contributor

@Nonametoday

I would imagine that Zappos and 6pm are included in those Amazon stats because how else did Amazon start selling shoes and clothes back in 2012? The Business of Fashion article doesn't mention any breakout stats for companies that Amazon has bought or otherwise acquired though.

The U.S. Amazon stats I don't think would apply to Canada either since Zappos quit shipping to Canada years ago and a lot of what's available on the American Amazon isn't shipped to Canada either.

As well as the prices in U.S. dollars on the american Amazon can be skewed way above the exchange rate, especially with 3rd party sellers.

I myself have never bought clothes or beauty products from either the U.S. or the Canadian Amazon as I find that their pricing schemes and changing prices sketchy.

I may buy a Japanese made sunscreen from the Canadian Amazon later on this summer, but I don't have any plans to shop for clothes or shoes from Amazon either. I still prefer to buy in person from a store where I can try items on, especially where shoe fit is an issue. As well there's no free shipping on many internet retailers in Canada either so it's hard to say whether a Canadian Amazon or the American one has any impact on other e-commerce retailers in Canada.

Honored Contributor

In the image of Wal Mart

Honored Contributor

I buy a ton of stuff from Amazon but I don't think I've ever bought clothing!

Honored Contributor

The only on line shopping I do is with QVC.   Otherwise I shop in my local community where my tax dollars go.   It scares me to death to know that one day there may be no more stores to shop and browse.   All put out of business by Amazon.   It could be the future for your children and grandchildren.   Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1wrote:

The only on line shopping I do is with QVC.   Otherwise I shop in my local community where my tax dollars go.   It scares me to death to know that one day there may be no more stores to shop and browse.   All put out of business by Amazon.   It could be the future for your children and grandchildren.   Smiley Sad

I talked about that here one day this week, how all shopping will be e-trade and we will be relegated to clothing that misfits or is wrong fabric, or whatever we can get and we will have no choices and we will not be like the multimillionaires able to go to designers to have our clothing made, so this might be a good time for the schools to bring back sewing and home economics classes.  Once Amazon gets a big toehold on the public shopping and it becomes even more behemoth than it already has become, they can charge any amount of shipping they want to and we will be forced to pay it, and their profits will be ginormous.  This is what is called a monopoly.  They need competition.