Honored Contributor

Amazon To Add 100,000 Jobs, As B&M Stores Struggle

As retailers such as Macy's, Kohl's and Sears are struggling, closing stores and laying off workers in droves, Amazon is hiring 100,000 new employees. It's another sign of changing shopping preferences.

Here's the link to an article in the NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/business/economy/amazon-jobs-retail.html?smid=nytcore-ipad-share&s...

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon To Add 100,000 Jobs, As B&M Stores Struggle

Interesting that it mentions nothing about the brick and mortar stores Amazon has opened and plans to open. They have opened 3 bookstores on the west coast and 5 more are set to open soon.

They also have one B&M grocery store open in a test market in Seattle. The grocery store model is pretty amazing. They won't need any cashiers, but they will need people to perform all the other basic functions, like unloading, stocking, cleaning, and helping customers with questions.

I can't link to the Amazon site, but here's some info on how the store works. you can find more by searching for Amazon Go online. I pulled this from their site:

What is Amazon Go? Amazon Go is a new kind of store with no checkout required. We created the world’s most advanced shopping technology so you never have to wait in line. With our Just Walk Out Shopping experience, simply use the Amazon Go app to enter the store, take the products you want, and go! No lines, no checkout. (No, seriously.)

10px-spacer

How does Amazon Go work? Our checkout-free shopping experience is made possible by the same types of technologies used in self-driving cars: computer vision, sensor fusion, and deep learning. Our Just Walk Out Technology automatically detects when products are taken from or returned to the shelves and keeps track of them in a virtual cart. When you’re done shopping, you can just leave the store. Shortly after, we’ll charge your Amazon account and send you a receipt.

So while department stores are struggling, some other stores are doing well and new types of stores are opening. 

Honored Contributor

I hope they notify UPS & USPS.

Sell all the ****** you want but if you can't get it delivered......

@handygal2 wrote:

As retailers such as Macy's, Kohl's and Sears are struggling, closing stores and laying off workers in droves, Amazon is hiring 100,000 new employees. It's another sign of changing shopping preferences.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/business/economy/amazon-jobs-retail.html?smid=nytcore-ipad-share&s...

Honored Contributor

@software wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

I haven't read the article but to some extent Amazon has their own delivery trucks.  I've seen them here in Chicago.  I have never had a probllem with Amazon deliveries and get the items within a few days.  However, I would be sorry to see malls disappear.  I always enjoy walking around and checking out the stores, feeling the fabrics and people watching.

Honored Contributor

When I order, it is delivered by UPS or USPS

I think all this "the sky is falling" about B&M stores is over-rated.

Stores open & close all the time, for decades.

Amazon just trying to gin up business.

@castlenv wrote:

@software wrote:

@handygal2 wrote:

I haven't read the article but to some extent Amazon has their own delivery trucks.  I've seen them here in Chicago.  I have never had a probllem with Amazon deliveries and get the items within a few days.  However, I would be sorry to see malls disappear.  I always enjoy walking around and checking out the stores, feeling the fabrics and people watching.

Valued Contributor

Lately, B&M store's inventory has been lack luster (i.e., sizes and quantities)~!    On line, the choices are endless,.....usually free shipping to my door, coupons galore, can use my "cash back" on Amazon orders, and much more.  

Parking is also a pain, waiting in long lines, no "gift boxes" anymore, only one or two registers open even on Saturdays--and in my area, malls are usually a 30 mi. drive round trip.  

Honored Contributor

That's life.  Things change.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

If failing stores would have tried to stay relevant by updating their web presence and offering great online deals, most wouldn't be struggling so much.

Feel bad for their employees, though.

Honored Contributor

They lost me at the government covering the difference in salary for laid off employees. Heck NO to that ridiculous idea!  There is a shift away from B&M stores, nothing new about that but it does seem to be speeding up.  It's not some in the future, it's happening now in real time.  Everyone seems to be shopping online now, even people who wouldn't have even thought about it a few years ago.  Amazon is adding those 100K jobs but the people being laid off from national retailers won't be a large part of that 100K, that's a no brainer.  The work is totally different, Amazon isn't going to hire people to work cash registers and stock shelves.  With Amazon it will be wharehoue workers, delivery people and people with computer skills.  I love that Amazon has their cars and drivers that deliver until 9pm and on Sundays too.  So, it's great that more jobs are coming but it won't help retail workers who are losing their jobs.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

If failing stores would have tried to stay relevant by updating their web presence and offering great online deals, most wouldn't be struggling so much.

Feel bad for their employees, though.

The big ones have done that but they can't compete with Amazon.  The can't even compete with Qvc.  I have bought a few things from Macy's.  I thought there was a distribution center like the big dogs have.  Not quite.  You order online and your order goes through their system and locates the item...in one of their local stores....and they send it out to you.  Well, the problem with that is if you order that white cardigan in a size 12 but 30 minutes after or even 2 days after you place your order, some purchases it in the store.  And that's the last one.   7 days later you get a "we regret" email.   Just about the time that you expect to receive your pretty white cardigan.  It's like thinking that a 2nd grader can compete with a Phd candidate.