Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon To Add 100,000 Jobs, As B&M Stores Struggle

@Pearlee wrote:

That's life.  Things change.

It is the future of shopping. No way to stop it.

If all the malls close, at least there will be less chance for mall shootings etc. Large crowds of people in this day and time is just not safe. 

Valued Contributor

The online shopping will stop when the B & M stores all close down due to customers shopping online and not being able to return their online purchases back to the B & M stores for their refund.  Customers will get very tired of paying the high shipping to return their purchases.  MOST people return purchases (Kohls, JCPenney, Macys) back to the store to avoid the cost of shipping it back which hurts the daily sales of the physical store, unfortunately.  Even if you receive free shipping your way, you most likely will have to pay to have it shipped back - either up front or it will be deducted from your account.  This gets very old after a while.  Customers need to support their B & M stores while they still can. 

Valued Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

That's life.  Things change.

It is the future of shopping. No way to stop it.

If all the malls close, at least there will be less chance for mall shootings etc. Large crowds of people in this day and time is just not safe. 

I hope not - I still enjoy most B & M stores - especially SteinMart.  I don't care for Macy's and I won't shop there, but it is for persona,l political reasons.  I am not afraid of malls, but of course, I pack for my and my family's safety.

Honored Contributor

@physicsnut wrote:

The online shopping will stop when the B & M stores all close down due to customers shopping online and not being able to return their online purchases back to the B & M stores for their refund.  Customers will get very tired of paying the high shipping to return their purchases.  MOST people return purchases (Kohls, JCPenney, Macys) back to the store to avoid the cost of shipping it back which hurts the daily sales of the physical store, unfortunately.  Even if you receive free shipping your way, you most likely will have to pay to have it shipped back - either up front or it will be deducted from your account.  This gets very old after a while.  Customers need to support their B & M stores while they still can. 

Seriously?   I haven't had to return anything in so long I don't even remember and I shop exclusively online or with shopping channels.  If you know how to shop and pay attention to what you are buying, returns should be rare.  And there's nothing wrong with sending a returned item back. it's a heck of a lot better than schlepping into some mall.  When I did shop at malls, I'd give an item away or re-sell it to someone before I went back to the store.  I never had the time for that.

Esteemed Contributor

Somehow I doubt that working at Amazon would be anything but a dead end job. Dickensian is probably a good description.

Honored Contributor

I'm delighted to here this about Amazon! I now live away from most B&M stores that I used to shop at so I shop Amazon a lot! Every online retailer should run a business like Amazon! They are phenominal! But I do shop my small local stores when I want to feel and touch the merchandise I'm buying. I always try to support our locals first and if I can't find what I'm looking for then I turn to Amazon. Support your small businesses first ladies! Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

I may be the only person that thinks Amazon is completely overrated

Esteemed Contributor

I shop only online because I am disabled. I can search without having to have to load the wheelchair in the car and have someone push me around. I rarely return anything. Although most of my shopping I do have a brick and mortar store if I needed to. I have born clothes shopping at one online retailer because I know what size to get and it always looks like the picture. If your careful you should not have to return much if anything.