Respected Contributor

Re: Amanda Gorman is Vogue's May cover

I think Amanda looks fabulous on the cover and looked fabulous at the inauguration, but did I personally like her poem? No. It's young adult poetry. Good young adult poetry, certainly. I don't read young adult fiction. I constantly ask my librarian to recommend books by under-40 writers, but I've had trouble connecting.

I feel sorry for the current poet laureate -- whoever that is. It's so hard for a poet to get a shot at a national audience. The inaugural committee wanted the ceremony to reflect change and diversity in many areas. It was a central theme of the election.

Too bad I won't be around to check out what Amanda's writing when she is over 40. 

Honored Contributor

People in this country need to face facts. There will ALWAYS be first class,second class and third class citizens here. No matter what some are trying to 'change' it will never happen. Not saying these are my thoughts, but it is what I believe from everything I see and hear in person and see on tv.

Esteemed Contributor

She is a lovely young lady who was recently part of a current event and is now on a cover.  

Nothing new about such an happening.  Maybe a cigar is just a cigar?

Honored Contributor

What exactly does 'enough' or 'class' have to do with a magazine cover?? I don't see the connections. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Okay.  I thought Vogue was a fashion magazine. 

@Kachina624 Vogue quit being a fashion magazine a number of years ago.  And a few others along with it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

People in this country need to face facts. There will ALWAYS be first class,second class and third class citizens here. No matter what some are trying to 'change' it will never happen. Not saying these are my thoughts, but it is what I believe from everything I see and hear in person and see on tv.

@proudlyfromNJ 

Are you enjoying your position as second or third class? You're willing to accept it?

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

She is a lovely young lady who was recently part of a current event and is now on a cover.  

Nothing new about such an happening.  Maybe a cigar is just a cigar?

Not on the QVC forums. Now it has even seeped into the fashion forum, ugh.

"If you really want to shock the world unleash your kindness"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 Vogue quit being a fashion magazine a number of years ago.  And a few others along with it. 

@Sooner  Amen to that. Nothing against Gorman, but I've been saying it for ages, Wintour needs to go. And if she ever does, perhaps Vogue will once again focus more on fashion than it does now instead of on her personal, social and political agendas, while featuring her choices of 'celebrity' models.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner  Amen to that. Nothing against Gorman, but I've been saying it for ages, Wintour needs to go. And if she ever does, perhaps Vogue will once again focus more on fashion rather than it does her personal social and political agendas, while featuring her choices of 'celebrity' models.

@stevieb 

So you stopped buying the magazine correct? I know I've voiced my opinion with my pocketbook when it comes to magazines. Whether or not they are my views I prefer my fashion magazine sans personal agenda

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Sooner  Amen to that. Nothing against Gorman, but I've been saying it for ages, Wintour needs to go. And if she ever does, perhaps Vogue will once again focus more on fashion rather than it does her personal social and political agendas, while featuring her choices of 'celebrity' models.

@stevieb 

So you stopped buying the magazine correct? I know I've voiced my opinion with my pocketbook when it comes to magazines. Whether or not they are my views I prefer my fashion magazine sans personal agenda

@Andreatoo I'll add I feel the same way about companies!  Worry about your products and customers.  You are not a charity, you are a business.