Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amanda Gorman is Vogue's May cover

@on the bay wrote:

@PickyPicky3,

I think I know what you meant?

That you would have wanted the US poet laureate, who as another poster said is Joy Harjo.

Amanda Gorman is the National Youth Poet Laureate.

She has won many other awards as well.

@on the bay this makes sense.  Thanks for adding this point.  I've made an additional comment about it based on your post.  Woman Happy

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

NYCLatinaLaw: The evening with Darden was wonderful. We laughed, shared serious moments, and enjoyed each other immensely!  I've had some wonderful lunches and dinners with poets, writers, and illustrators, and this was among the best and in my hometown to well!

Respected Contributor

Amanda Gorman was even more stunning looking on the cover of Time.

That magazine reported that Gorman was followed home after the inaugaration because she looked suspicious.

Horrible!

Respected Contributor

@on the bay  Thank you. Yes.

I was thinking this morning about what Amanda should do with her life at this point.

Go to law school? Run for local office in LA? Use her current fame to create a TV show that would bring poetry to the masses? Just write and publish?

Most people her age need to find a job. Amanda's talent gives her the freedom to pick and choose. But she needs to choose, not just look over offers that are coming in.

What door should she open? 

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I was thinking this morning about what Amanda should do with her life at this point.

Go to law school? Run for local office in LA? Use her current fame to create a TV show that would bring poetry to the masses? Just write and publish?

Most people her age need to find a job. Amanda's talent gives her the freedom to pick and choose. But she needs to choose, not just look over offers that are coming in.

@PickyPicky3 She can do what she wants.  We don't know what that will be, but whatever it is, I hope it's what she wants to doShe will be successful at anything as long as she follows her dreams!  She has opportunities opening up for her at this time and the world is her oyster.  That can and should be said for all young people of her age group! 

Money is not equivalent with success.  Though you need it to live, right now, she's on the right track.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

Very impressive young woman, smart and gifted and very talented! 

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@PickyPicky3 I would hope she can do whatever she wants.  Not for us to decide.  Since she is such a talent, I am happy to support her in her decisions. She has a college degree from Harvard, in addition to her many awards, evidence that she is smart and can make decisions.

So many do not live to their talent for lack of support and impediments!

Esteemed Contributor

@insomniac2 that is so sad to read!