Honored Contributor

Re: Amanda Gorman is Vogue's May cover

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe ,

Well, I want to thank you for posting her picture and in reading the thread, it made me want to read more about her. 

I did get to hear her at the inauguration.

So I just listened to when she was on James Cordon's the Late Show. She said he was her favorite human ever! (he's one of mine tooSmiley Happy and that she and her twin sister used to pass by the CBS studio where he was and think how great it would be to go in and hug him but they didn't want to be 2 little black girls getting arrested for trying to sneak in. Anyway, the whole video of this was so great to watch and she has so much humility (but not false humility you know?).And humor!

Her new poem which she recited to Kelly Clarkson on her show made Kelly cry (and me too). I guess because it gave hope but also acknowledging the dark times.

And her children's book I heard,

"Change Sings" went to number one for USA Today's and Amazon's top  seller list. I'm so glad I got to hear more, and read more about her.

She is very inspiring, and I wouldn't have come across all this without you posting her picture.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@gertrudecloset    I just would have preferred to have our poet laureate at a presidential inauguration. If I remember correctly, Amanda was the only young adult in the inaugural program. As a representative of her age group, she's perfect. It would have been nice to have two poets read, but there wasn't enough time for that.

Now, as for my difficulty connecting with young writers in general -- I'm still trying. But it's hard for me. Either it's my calcifying brain, or it just takes time to understand the complexities of life and infuse that into creative expression. Or both.

Amanda is doing fine. She makes me smile.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

@gertrudecloset    I just would have preferred to have our poet laureate at a presidential inauguration. If I remember correctly, Amanda was the only young adult in the inaugural program. As a representative of her age group, she's perfect. It would have been nice to have two poets read, but there wasn't enough time for that.

Now, as for my difficulty connecting with young writers in general -- I'm still trying. But it's hard for me. Either it's my calcifying brain, or it just takes time to understand the complexities of life and infuse that into creative expression. Or both.

Amanda is doing fine. She makes me smile.

I don't understand what your'e trying to relay.  Amanda Gorman was the poet laureate at the Inauguration.  So, why would you have preferred her to be there if she was in fact there?  

Young writers should write to an audience of their peers (imho).  The piece she did at our inauguration was written by her, just for that event.  I don't know what else you're referring to, but it does not matter at this point @PickyPicky3 

@PickyPicky3 I think I understand what you're saying now.  At first I was scratching my head.  Doesn't take much for me to do that these days!  LOL.

I think Amanda Gorman was enough.  We didn't need twoThis is just my opinion though.  I think it was in keeping with the passing of the torch to our young people, because that's what we have to do.  She appears to be a great representation of that.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

Some of the best poetry is found in volumes published for children and young adults, .e.g Marilyyn Nelson, Naomi Shihab Nye, Paul Janezco, and Joyce Sidman.  Age of poet and intended audience are not determinants of excellence.

Valued Contributor

More well deserved  accolades. Amanda Gorman was asked to host the "MET GALA", Vogue's "Oscar"awards for fashion. The theme will be a celebration of America and American designers. Guess the Vogue cover was not enough!

I think it is great that a poet has become a celebrity! Hopefully will inspire others.

Respected Contributor

She is a brilliant poet! I love her too!

Esteemed Contributor

Poets who became great celebrities include: Maya Angelou; Lorraine Hansberry; Phyllis Wheatley; Toni Morrison; James Baldwin; Langston Hughes; Rita Dove and so many more.

Makes me happy too!

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@PickyPicky3,

I think I know what you meant?

That you would have wanted the US poet laureate, who as another poster said is Joy Harjo.

Amanda Gorman is the National Youth Poet Laureate.

She has won many other awards as well.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Zernia Rose sounds like an interesting evening, having dinner with a fashion pioneer!  Hope she was nice!

Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay so nice to read the positive post.  I just learned about  pioneer model Norma Jean Darden from another poster on this thread.