Honored Contributor

Re: Amanda Gorman is Vogue's May cover

@Andreatoo wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Sooner wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Okay.  I thought Vogue was a fashion magazine. 

@Kachina624 Vogue quit being a fashion magazine a number of years ago.  And a few others along with it. 

@Sooner  Amen to that. Nothing against Gorman, but I've been saying it for ages, Wintour needs to go. And if she ever does, perhaps Vogue will once again focus more on fashion rather than it does her personal social and political agendas, while featuring her choices of 'celebrity' models.

@stevieb 

So you stopped buying the magazine correct? I know I've voiced my opinion with my pocketbook when it comes to magazines. Whether or not they are my views I prefer my fashion magazine sans personal agenda

@Andreatoo  Absolutely, haven't bought it in several years... At first, I 'allowed' the September issue into my home, but now even that one's not welcome. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

My perception is that those expressing opposition to Amanda Gorman and Vogue probably do not read the magazine and don't subscribe to it or similar ones. Whether the intent is to make a social statement or, it seems anything associated with certain groups in a positive light will be criticized or condemned.   I subscribe to fashion, literary, political, food, and general topics magazine. Each has an intended audience and are not to everyone's taste. 

BTW, poetry has been one of the most neglected and least purchased genres for decades.  When was the last time you purchased a volume of any poetry?  The current national poet laureate is Joy Harjo and I suspect that given the reaction to Gorman, she would be criticized as well and regarded as a social statement despite the quality of her poetry and the awards she has won.

Esteemed Contributor

@Zernia Rose wrote:

Let's get back to celebrating Amanda andother girls and women that achieve. I recently  read a fascinating discussion about the battle of Versailles in which the top French designers competed against  emerging American designers such as Bill Blass, Stephan Burrows and Halston.  The Americans featured eleven Black models; this was 1973. They revolutionized modeling. Pat Cleveland, Norma Jean Darden, and Bethann Harrison were among them. Some of them became part of the Halstonettes. There are two documentaries, the last narrated by Stanley Tucci. St. Laurent and Halston were known for using Black models after the fashion showdown. Amanda is in great company! 

Yes, I saw footage of the Battle of Versailles in the Halston documentary!  Fun event.  I recommend the Halston documentary to those interested in fashion.  Googling to make sure I had the name of the event right, looks like there is a Battle of Versailles documentary specifically available on You Tube, probably something worth checking out.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Okay.  I thought Vogue was a fashion magazine. 

Yes, she is modeling fashion items.  She is a model and a poet.  We can admire her beauty and her talent.

The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality ~  Dante Alighieri
Esteemed Contributor

Thank you @Chi-town girl love to read these kind words!

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I think Amanda looks fabulous on the cover and looked fabulous at the inauguration, but did I personally like her poem? No. It's young adult poetry. Good young adult poetry, certainly. I don't read young adult fiction. I constantly ask my librarian to recommend books by under-40 writers, but I've had trouble connecting.

I feel sorry for the current poet laureate -- whoever that is. It's so hard for a poet to get a shot at a national audience. The inaugural committee wanted the ceremony to reflect change and diversity in many areas. It was a central theme of the election.

Too bad I won't be around to check out what Amanda's writing when she is over 40. 

@PickyPicky3 Good 40+ year old poets need to write poetry before they get to 40.  Many of us enjoy her poetry.  It was a really great exposure for her, a positive thing!

Esteemed Contributor

Vogue continues to be the leading fashion magazine, even when it doesn't cater to everyone's tastes.  It never has.  Its goal is to be profitable.  If you don't like it, it's just not for you.  And that is OK.

Esteemed Contributor

I love her!  I'm so proud of her as young adult and I hope she will continue nothing but good things with her life.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Trusted Contributor

NYCLatinaLaw,  I had the pleasure of having dinner with Norma Jean Darden and it was fabulous! We had a mutual friend and she was in our community to present at a luncheon for the Links ( social group for young children) and we went for drinks and dinner later that evening.  While in college in the 1970s, I had purchased the cookbook she wrote with her sister, Spoonbread and Strawberry Wine, and made sure to have her autographed. She was a bit surprised that I had it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

I think Amanda looks fabulous on the cover and looked fabulous at the inauguration, but did I personally like her poem? No. It's young adult poetry. Good young adult poetry, certainly. I don't read young adult fiction. I constantly ask my librarian to recommend books by under-40 writers, but I've had trouble connecting.

I feel sorry for the current poet laureate -- whoever that is. It's so hard for a poet to get a shot at a national audience. The inaugural committee wanted the ceremony to reflect change and diversity in many areas. It was a central theme of the election.

Too bad I won't be around to check out what Amanda's writing when she is over 40. 

The poem she read at inauguration was written just for that ocassion.  She's not Maya Angelou.  Perhaps reading more of her stuff will give you a better insight as to what she has done as a poet.  I'm pleased that her poetry and prose reflects her age @PickyPicky3   What should it be?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life