Honored Contributor

Re: Amanda Gorman is Vogue's May cover

[ Edited ]

Okay.  I thought Vogue was a fashion magazine. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

Okay.  I thought Vogue was a fashion magazine. 

Yes, she is modeling fashion items.  She is a model and a poet.  We can admire her beauty and her talent.

Honored Contributor

At 5'5", I'd hardly consider her a contender as a fashion model.  If Vogue want to make a social statement, they ought to get ought of the fashion business. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Kachina, height is no longer the primary criterion for a perso to appear on the cover of Vogue. She has been signed to a modeling contract with IMG. Clearly, her skin is nearly flawless, her coloring gorgeous, her movement and poses reflect the beauty of ballet, and she wears the clothing well.  If there is a social statement, then I suppose it would be that one need not be a nearly 6 ft. waif with alabaster skin, blond hair (bottled or natural), and bereft of knowledge and inarticulate as some are.  So what's your real opposition ir do you really want us to read between the lines?

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

At 5'5", I'd hardly consider her a contender as a fashion model.  If Vogue want to make a social statement, they ought to get ought of the fashion business. 

I didn't realize models had to be a certain height.  Is this a new trend that you are purporting to be bringing me up to date on?

She is more than a contender, she is a top model!  She is on the cover of Vogue wearing top designers!  She receives many modeling requests and hired a modeling agent.  People like her look, including me.  Designers want to dress her!  My post credits the fashions.

You are entitled to your opinion, but Vogue's owners make their editorial decisions.  They decide the contents of their magazine.  If you want to make different editorial decisions for Vogue, maybe you can make an offer for the magazine.

Not sure what it is the social statement you think they are making.  Vogue profiles interesting women all the time.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Let's get back to celebrating Amanda andother girls and women that achieve. I recently  read a fascinating discussion about the battle of Versailles in which the top French designers competed against  emerging American designers such as Bill Blass, Stephan Burrows and Halston.  The Americans featured eleven Black models; this was 1973. They revolutionized modeling. Pat Cleveland, Norma Jean Darden, and Bethann Harrison were among them. Some of them became part of the Halstonettes. There are two documentaries, the last narrated by Stanley Tucci. St. Laurent and Halston were known for using Black models after the fashion showdown. Amanda is in great company! 

Honored Contributor

Of all the poets I have heard at an inauguration, I can name only 3 offhand - Robert Frost, Maya Angelou, and now Amanda Gorman.  What great company this beautiful and talented young woman has joined.  

Respected Contributor

@January121. Enough of what?
Esteemed Contributor

I think its great that she is on the cover. It thrills me to see young women like her being elevated in such a way where she can be seen as a role model for others. I think its very positive to see young women becoming famous for their talent and brains.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   Of course it is -  and Gorman is the perfect model for what she is wearing and to an audience to which Vogue might need more connection.

On Gorman's side -  it's beyond tough to make a living as a poet.  Good for her!