Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who has no interest in

I refused to wear (or even try) elastic waist pants until I had shoulder surgery last year.  I couldn't button, snap, or zip anything for over 3 months and I got very tired of wearing sweat pants every day.  So I ordered a couple pairs of elastic waist jeans and was pleasantly surprised.  Shocked, in fact.  These are the ones with the 3- to 4-inch waist band that lays flat on my tummy.  Smooths my mid-section very nicely.  And, there's no button flap that puts a bump on the front of my blouses and t-shirts.  I actually look slimmer and smoother in the elastic waist than I ever did in a button-and-zip waist.   I'm totally hooked now.   Just received a pair of Martha Stewart pull-up jeans and they give me a fantastic shape!   Who knew?!?

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

I'm with those who prefer a no elastic pant waist. I, too, do not like the way it feels, or even looks, even if covered up with a top or blouse.

Since it is such an easy construction, I suppose manufacturers are simply cutting corners.

Esteemed Contributor

I spent years wearing a work belt with tools hanging from it.  So of course the pants had a zip front and belt loops, and I tucked (unless it was cold or rainy, in which case I had layers over things).

I also spent years as a group exercise instructor.  Then I wore gear with an elastic waist (though I wore a belt to harness my mic pack).

I live in elastic waist now.

Cogito ergo sum
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Andreatoo wrote:

Elastic waist pull on pants?!

No.  Can't stand them. 

I understand the need for some people who have arthritic hands, etc., but, otherwise, I just don't see the appeal. I had one pair of pull-on capris. That was it for me. I never wore them. I want room around my abdomen when I slide them on and off (that I get when I unzip jeans), so my underpants don't slide up and down with them. 😁

I like the more structured feel of zipper jeans, too. I'm not a yoga pants, jegging, legging person. 

To me, they're in the same category as lettered clothes sizes as opposed to numbered. Ballpark sizing and fit. I want clothes that are my size, not around my size. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm with you! I've tried them, but I feel matronly. I tuck or half-tack way too often anyway.

"The good thing about Science is that it's true, whether or not you believe in it."
Neil deGrasse Tyson
Trusted Contributor

@Cumbercookie13 wrote:
Elastic waist and pull on styles are great for a plus size like me. You have to remember not everyone is built the same, and for those with hand issues due to arthritis and other conditions, it's easier for them. Fashion doesn't revolve around what you alone wants.

@Andreatoo  didn't say that.

She said she wanted more choices and that it was becoming more difficult to find pants with zippers. She wants more choices. That's all. 

Esteemed Contributor

I don't care for elastic waist pants, but qvc does sell pants with stretch waists that are nice because they are flat under tops.  If I want woven zip up pants I shop at Nordstroms which has a great women's fashion website and runs a lot of sales.  they have a good return policy if things don't work out.  Iman had some nice zip up pants, maybe there are some in clearance.  I hope she joins qvc.

Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo  I don’t like elastic waist pants,slacks,trousers either.I love how you called them all possible names in your post.I think that elastic waist only works if you have certain body types.My problem in no butt and the elastic waist makes the pants look very puffy and saggy in the rear on me.I need more fitted and tailored pants.

I wish that Q sold more tailored clothing too but I understand why they don’t.I can’t seem to find anything online that fits me well enough to keep and if I like the item then I find the fabric a problem.I don’t like the new materials much as they seem to hold in my body heat.

Esteemed Contributor

The trouble with QVC is there vanity sizing.. too big. To answer the O/P question I never wear pull on pants. Not my style.Smiley Indifferent

Honored Contributor

I have a few cotton capri's that have an elastic back (which I'm not wild about but wanted that leg). When I dress up, I don't want the extra puff they add.  

I know from my customers elastic waists are wonderful for people that have painful joints, arthritis, or similar challenges.