Honored Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who has no interest in

I generally do not like them, they never seem to fit right, but I did have one pair of dress pants that fit perfectly, so much so they did not even need to be hemmed when I bought them. Unfortunately, well really not they are now about 3 sizes too large after a 50+ lb weight loss

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Imagine no choices not only in pants but all clothing. I will never understand all or nothing comments. Qvc isn't the only option for zipper style pants. Talbot's one of my favorites, Nordstrom's, Macy's. Listing only a few options. 

Honored Contributor

I never would wear elastic in my slacks - thought they were for "old people."  My favorite style dress slacks were the flat wasted style with a side zipper.  I thought these had the cleanest look.  Now that I am older though I find that elastic -- depending on the type - is much more comfortable on me.  Although I am not heavy, my stomach is not what it used to be and I no longer tuck things in.  If people want to think that elastic is matronly, well, so be it, I guess.  I stll try and look nice but I have to be comfortable, too.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Respected Contributor

Elastic waist and pull on styles are great for a plus size like me. You have to remember not everyone is built the same, and for those with hand issues due to arthritis and other conditions, it's easier for them. Fashion doesn't revolve around what you alone wants.
Valued Contributor

I'm surprised no one said this, but pull on pants are cheaper to make and therefore a higher profit margin. That's what it's about IMO.

I watch these clothing shows ometimes and just laugh out loud. Seeing a pair of pull on pants, basically material cut in half and sewn up the sides for legs (I know it's more than that but just sayin). and selling them for $50-60 is nuts! Then you go into a place like TJ Maxx and find the same things for $20. They all come from overseas where I am sure a huge block of material is put on a machine and cut, cut, cut, then sewn up and shipped, so why pay 3x the price from a shopping channel? They make a ton of money on these simple things that require no extra work.

But I wear pull on styles these days much more than jeans. Hands don't have dexterity due to arthritis, easier to get into and out of and far more comfortable for my lifestyle which includes walking and hiking every day. You can look just as nice in a pair of pull on pants with a nice top or tunic.

Honored Contributor

Since I don't tuck, I like the smooth look of having no zipper.  Sometimes with certain tops you can see the snap or button at the waist under the top which is not a good look.

However I did buy a few pairs of Logo boyfriend jeans that have zippers recently.  I just have to be careful about which tops to wear with them.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Women have a tendency to put on weight in their mid-sections as they age, so often they find if traditional waists fit, the hips are too big, and vice-versa.  The answer is an elastic waist.  The reason why I think QVC offers so many.  Fewer complaints. 

When I used to wear nothing but traditional waists every day not available in stretch fabrics then, as the day progressed, particularly after lunch, the waists of my trousers kept getting tighter and tighter.  Then, if you put on a few pounds....say over the holidays. I opened the buttons, but that couldn't be done if my top was tucked in. 

Still wear them occasionally, but not liking it at all when the waist is tight.  

Some of the flat front and back elastic waists look pretty good, QVC has a few, but I agree traditional waists look so much better. They're still out there sold by other retailers.  

Honored Contributor

I just don't care for the look of a zipper in the front.  I have a couple of pair, but my dressier, go-to pants have back elastic and look great, front and back.  I do have some total elatic waist also, but have never had the sensation of them falling down as I walk.  

Respected Contributor

You are not alone.  I refuse to wear elastic waist anything except for yoga pants and workout pant.  I barely wear those anymore, either, though.  A few years ago I bought some Iman jeans and I won't wear them as jeans because they are that odd ultrastretchy cotton/rayon/poly/spandex blend which is a knit masquerading as denim.  My jeans are all at least 14 oz. denim with a maximum of 1% spandex. But those Iman pants ROCK as workout wear.  I can wear a belt with them and clip my phone on it.  They are ankle length and so I can ride my bike without worrying about catching pantleg on bike chain.    

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweet_Serenity wrote:

Imagine no choices not only in pants but all clothing. I will never understand all or nothing comments. Qvc isn't the only option for zipper style pants. Talbot's one of my favorites, Nordstrom's, Macy's. Listing only a few options. 

What’s that show (I don’t watch it and never have) about all the women in the dark red costumes and white hats? 

If we all all chose to dress in exactly the same way would everyone agree, or would no one agree?

I wear both styles and see tons of ch on the Q and on other shopping channels.

I was morbidly obese, and they neither flattered my size, nor didn’t.

I was young, and now I’m old. Pants are pants.