Honored Contributor

Am I the only one who has no interest in

Elastic waist pull on pants?! Sure I have choices, elsewhere, but I happen to enjoy shopping online! And this is not exclusive to the Q! It's seeping into the other two channels. The vast majority of a nice dress trouser is a pull on pant! They have their place in leggings and athletic wear but it would be nice to find a pair of slacks here on this website that aren't an elastic waist. Unfortunately it's rare (here)

And it's not just the negative connotation that comes with them I don't like how they feel. Plus I don't find them very versatile (no tucking)

Perhaps from a business standpoint the powers-that-be think they get less returns? I don't think the vendors choose to do it but that the buyers insist on it. Especially after hearing one designer say that he thought elastic waist pants were matronly!

Honored Contributor

Re: Am I the only one who has no interest in

I very seldom wear elastic waist pants.  I prefer a waistband with a zipper. I find that elastic waist pants droop and slide down.

I have no trouble finding slacks with a zipper, but I need petite sizes which  limits my choices.

Respected Contributor

They might want to rethink that, as more brick-and-mortar stores are closing. What will replace Talbots? I think them as the go-to place for my good slacks, because they are of decent quality and they have a variety of fits. 

The Q's main customer base is "of a certain age.' Close to retirement or retired, many have different lifestyles and some may struggle with health and weight issues. I'm not saying it's everyone, but buyers have that demographic in mind. Dress slacks are more expensive to make and Q buyers think of production costs and how many units they can sell. Then there's the petite, tall, and plus sizing to consider and while we're on that, the numberic sizing is another issue. 

I think I'd like to see some proper dress slacks that didn't cost as much as Talbots.

Trusted Contributor

@Andreatoo  Pull on pants just don't work for me.  For some reason, the two pair I've ever bought seemed to 'creep' down when I walked, even though they were skinny's and really tight.  I also feel that a zipper holds me in, if that makes any sense.

Honestly I have never bought one bottom online.  Even in B&M stores, sometimes I try on a couple in the same style/size/color because everything from China is so inconsistent in sizing.  Also, I don't like doing returns and exchanges for online purchases and that's what I fear with buying any bottoms online.

Esteemed Contributor

Dillard's and vonMaur have great dress slacks at reasonable prices. For dressier occasions, they both have lined dress slacks. Remember when that's all we wore to work? Lined skirts, slacks and jackets with the best natural fibers imaginable.  Didn't realize how spoiled we were! How I miss those days of great quality clothing! 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JavaQueen 

It seems like they dip one toe in the contemporary pool but they're afraid to put in their whole foot! LOL They're trying for a younger demographic but they just don't make enough changes

I'm not looking for dress trousers necessarily just options to jeans that don't have an elastic waist!

They compare themselves to stores with  doors on a regular basis but in this area they're sorely lacking

Honored Contributor

I have lots of pull ups and zip ups; but prefer the pull up.  If pants creep down on you, you bought the wrong size or style.  Theyre too short through the rise.

I find pull ups are a lot more comfortable and I don't tuck so there's no advantage to having a zipper.  If you wear your shirt out, nobody sees the zipper, so what difference does it make, if nobody can catch you wearing "Mom jeans"?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

Elastic waist pull on pants?! Sure I have choices, elsewhere, but I happen to enjoy shopping online! And this is not exclusive to the Q! It's seeping into the other two channels. The vast majority of a nice dress trouser is a pull on pant! They have their place in leggings and athletic wear but it would be nice to find a pair of slacks here on this website that aren't an elastic waist. Unfortunately it's rare (here)

And it's not just the negative connotation that comes with them I don't like how they feel. Plus I don't find them very versatile (no tucking)

Perhaps from a business standpoint the powers-that-be think they get less returns? I don't think the vendors choose to do it but that the buyers insist on it. Especially after hearing one designer say that he thought elastic waist pants were matronly!

@Andreatoo 

Bingo!   

It's about offering items that will have a low return rate.   Woven fabric pants have little "give" and might need tailoring, and many people don't want to bother with that.  Just because the fit has to be right, I would never buy that type of item online.  Too high a possibility for a return or exchange, which is a hassle.    I'd buy that in a B&M store.   JMO

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I have lots of pull ups and zip ups; but prefer the pull up.  If pants creep down on you, you bought the wrong size or style.  Theyre too short through the rise.

I find pull ups are a lot more comfortable and I don't tuck so there's no advantage to having a zipper.  If you wear your shirt out, nobody sees the zipper, so what difference does it make, if nobody can catch you wearing "Mom jeans"?

I guess you're referring to my post above.  Thank you, I didn't know I was buying the wrong size and style pants all these years!  Lol.  Also, that's a very unique ability, to be able to assess the fit of someone else's pants without even seeing them on them.  Woman LOL 
Zippered jeans and pants are just more flattering on me.  I don't care for elastic waist pants, other than leggings, and won't buy them.  But,  I'm not speaking for anyone but myself here.
They're historically sold by shopping channels solely to keep returns to a minimum, no other reason.  I personally don't think we'll see QVC and HSN changing any time soon, not regarding this.

Honored Contributor

OP, yes I think you are the only one who doesn't like elastic waist pull on pants. I have gotten rid of all my zip up jeans/pants years ago. I love the look of pull on leggings/jeans. I'm tall and feel this look enhances my stature and height. I won't ever go back to uncomfortable zip up anything!

"Pure Michigan"