Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I The Only Person Who'd Like To See Shorter TOPS?

I'm 5'6 and tunic length doesn't look good on me either.I had a picture taken of me recently, and I looked like I was in a Maternity top like in the 70's....

It got donated

Honored Contributor

Oh I hate any type of tunic, long top. Won't wear them. I'm 5'9" and actually have been known to shop in the petite dept to get the top I want in a shorter length. Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

So, I'm sitting here watching Susan Graver sell her tops, just turtle neck, long sleeve, lovely.  However, they are so long I'm sure some could even wear it for a freaking dress!

Now, I understand that people who wear leggins like them because they come over the crotch area.  However, not everyone wears leggins (believe me, I'm doing the world a favor by NOT wearing leggins).

I've bought those same tops and don't know what to do with all of that extra fabric.  I like having something (key word something/small amount) hand out from my jackets, but good grief!  These look stupid they are so long.

I almost bought one and then I remembered how stupid they look on me hanging down to my thighs!  I'm 5'4 1/2 maybe 5'5 so I'm not real short.

I don't expect them to always offer two lengths, I'm just saying "Why do they always seem to be so freaking long for those who wear tights"?

@Annabellethecat66

I don't know if you are meaning the true tunic tops, of which I am o.k. with them because they are good when you do want to wear leggings or very form-fitting jeans.  

But if you mean all of the tops which are made any more and they are very long and are of thin material and stretchy material --- I do not care for them!  For a long time, this seems to be all that most companies are making and they are not flattering.  The top is way too long, the fabric is thin and grabby and and the length of it hits at a very unflattering spot.  So -- what do you do with it?  You either have to pull it way down ---whereupon it comes way past your hips and accentures your hips and stomach --- or --- you have to bunch it up and then it gives you more girth around the middle and it never stays up any way.  

I prefer the way they used to make nice cotton knit tops -- a bit of a heavier material --- not so much stretch and to fall just at the top of the hip.  

It's very hard if not impossible to find tops like this.

Also, getting tank tops, etc. is the same way.  They are mostly very tight fitting, stretchy and long!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 First, and most importantly, thank you for responding to my post.  I was talking about just a regular jewel (i.e. crew neck) top Susan Graver was selling at the time.  It is long sleeve and she never said a word about "tunic", it was all about wearing it with skirts or pants, etc.  I see everyone on QVC selling similar tops.  Some are definitely not long enough to wear with tights (although I see them out in public...hummm??).  Some come way down my mid-thigh,  I understand the longer ones are usually called "tunics" but these are advertised as just regular tops.

It doesn't matter at this point.  It will eventually run itself out and we (the public) will be back to regular length tops.  I'm not talking about the one's young kids wear, I'm talking about tops you'd buy at a store like Kohls.  I have a friend I eat with 4 to  5 times a week.  She only shops at 'brick and mortar' stores (i.e. Kohls, etc) and unless she's specifically shopping for tunics (which she doesn't wear) her tops are 'regular' length, like the one's I bought even last year on QVC.

I just don't buy them, but it would be nice to see more short(er) ones, that's all I'm saying.  I have a tummy like some have mentioned, but .... come on even if I was 9 months pregnant (and I am a size XL or 1X) they'd still be way, way too long (that's what I'd call a REAL run-on sentence).

Respected Contributor

It isn't just QVC. This is an issue everywhere I shop. I've turned down many tops and sweaters at Talbots due to this same issue. 

I know this is a wholesale change in style because I have older tops to prove it. 

It's always stayed with me that Clinton and Stacey used to say the most flattering length top for most women is one that hits at the top of the hip. But try finding one today.  

I imagine that the popularity of skinny pants and leggings has led us here, but there are still plenty of regular fit pants and jeans being sold (that's all I wear) and it would be nice to have tops to go with them. And, tops that look good with skirts. 

Honored Contributor

@peachesncream
He actually made that same comment quite recently but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Jackie on HSN has also addressed the issue of tops being too long with too much fabric.
I am short at 5 foot 2 but have freakishly long legs for my height. If you can't see the full extension of my legs then it makes me look stumpy. If I do wear a long top it will be a sharkbite because the juxtaposition in length extends the legs. I know a lot of people don't like the uneven hems but the end effect of the even length hem is more detrimental to me personally
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@AngelPuppy1 First, and most importantly, thank you for responding to my post.  I was talking about just a regular jewel (i.e. crew neck) top Susan Graver was selling at the time.  It is long sleeve and she never said a word about "tunic", it was all about wearing it with skirts or pants, etc.  I see everyone on QVC selling similar tops.  Some are definitely not long enough to wear with tights (although I see them out in public...hummm??).  Some come way down my mid-thigh,  I understand the longer ones are usually called "tunics" but these are advertised as just regular tops.

It doesn't matter at this point.  It will eventually run itself out and we (the public) will be back to regular length tops.  I'm not talking about the one's young kids wear, I'm talking about tops you'd buy at a store like Kohls.  I have a friend I eat with 4 to  5 times a week.  She only shops at 'brick and mortar' stores (i.e. Kohls, etc) and unless she's specifically shopping for tunics (which she doesn't wear) her tops are 'regular' length, like the one's I bought even last year on QVC.

I just don't buy them, but it would be nice to see more short(er) ones, that's all I'm saying.  I have a tummy like some have mentioned, but .... come on even if I was 9 months pregnant (and I am a size XL or 1X) they'd still be way, way too long (that's what I'd call a REAL run-on sentence).

@Annabellethecat66

Yes, I understand what you mean.  It's nice to have some tunics, but we need to have other choices.  And they should be specific about which ones are tunics and which aren't.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I do not own or wear leggings so I just don't have much need for longer tops. I own a couple of longer tops with side slits to wear with my slim jeans and pants, but other than that I prefer a shorter top. It can be difficult to find the perfect top because a top that looks good with a pair of black pants may not be the right length for my black skirt. IMO Proportion and fit are everything when choosing items to make outfits for any size or body shape. 

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 I totally agree with you!  You said in a few well chosen words what took me 1/4 page to say ...... and you said it better....thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

@peachesncream wrote:

It isn't just QVC. This is an issue everywhere I shop. I've turned down many tops and sweaters at Talbots due to this same issue. 

I know this is a wholesale change in style because I have older tops to prove it. 

It's always stayed with me that Clinton and Stacey used to say the most flattering length top for most women is one that hits at the top of the hip. But try finding one today.  

I imagine that the popularity of skinny pants and leggings has led us here, but there are still plenty of regular fit pants and jeans being sold (that's all I wear) and it would be nice to have tops to go with them. And, tops that look good with skirts. 

I remember somrthing like that as well from What not to Wear .. only I can't remember if it was the British version (which I LOVED) or the American version. But something about not wearing tops that covered where the leg met the hip ... as in we should see the top of your leg. This was of course, before leggings became the thing to wear for a lot of ladies.

I can wear some tunic length items, but they need to be more of a fitted style and I need that v shaped neck. I am busty and don't have particulary long legs ... so I personally need the long lean look that comes from close to the body shapes w/ fabric that nips in  at waist or is structured thru the torso area.

I always thought I looked my slimest wearing a great pair of straight leg trousers w/ a top that was tucked in (ha, ha finding that now) or a cardigan that was fitted at the bottom and hit about 3-4 inches below my waist. LDO has some jackets that are not long that really do look good on my body shape.

I don't wear leggings ... unless you call yoga pants w/ a slight bootcut leggings. And I only run or sleep in them. They are not pants I wear out anywere except if I'm moving fast enough that people can't actually see me in them up close. Smiley Happy

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."