Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I The Only Person Who'd Like To See Shorter TOPS?

It's a great thing fashion cycles.  Not too many years ago some of us were posting that QVC hosts were wearing tops too short for on air.  We also were critical of stores which were primarily featuring only tops which hit above the waist.  You could barely find a blazer in a classic hip length during this phase.  Tops have been lengthening the past couple of years and it stands to reason that trend will continue before something else is the current flavor of the day.  

Honored Contributor

@kate2357
If I do wear a tunic length it is definitely fitted
Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Hi Annabelle...that old saying "you can't please all of the people all of the time" applies here!   There was a time many years back when it seemed all I could find were cropped tops for my longish torso.   I hated it.  I know you're not necessarily talking about "cropped" and I feel for the shorter women among us who can't find a length that isn't ridiculously long.

But...I love a tunic...I can and do wear leggings, but not thin, tight ones.   The problem as I see it is that, even for tall women, some of these tunics are ridiculously long!  And some are utterly voluminous!  Billowing!  Ridiculous!  It's the women who are on either end of the height spectrum who have a problem.  But I have rejected many tops because they were either too short or too long.  Go figure!

I'm with ya...as long as the length is not less than 27 inches!  Smiley Tongue Smiley Wink

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

Some of the bigger designers in dept. stores have stopped doing a petite line. At 5'1" even a petite pant (petite definition is 5'4" and under) has to be hemmed. Most tailors in my area charge upwards of $20 for a simple hem, jeans are much more because they take off original hem, hem the jeans & then sew the original one back on. If I'm going to pay that much $ for alterations, it will be on expensive clothing. Why spend $20-$30 to hem a pr. of $40 pants. That's the average price of pants at the Q. The same goes for tops. If I shop in more expensive stores that cater to tailored, classic styles, there are plenty of shorter tops....Talbots, J Crew, Nordstrom (certain depts.). They assume you are "wardrobe building" & not looking for trends. More power to those who can pull off leggings & long tops. They've been in stores for years now and even influenced some designers to add athletic clothes to their lines. If not jeans, give me a tailored trouser and a shorter sweater and I'm in proportion for height.

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF I liked your post.  I agree with most of what you said.  However, on the particular shirts I was talking about they were not identified (as they often aren't) as tunics.  They are just long-sleeved shirts...period.  It doesn't say tunics.  

I can't walk around 'brick and mortar" stores anymore (I order on-line, mainly QVC).  I have friends who shop at Kohls, Macy's, etc.  They tell me (and I eat with this friend 4 to 5 times a week I see for myself) her shirts are not all tunics.  She does not wear tights so doesn't buy specific tunics.  She said the tunics are in a separate area and the regular shirts aren't long.

That's all I want.  I'd like to see more variety.  That and stop making the sleeves come down to my finger tips.  I used to make a lot of my own clothes and I know my arms are just average length (no shorter than anyone else's arms).  Yet these sleeves go near NEAR the tip of my fingers.

I have to hem the sleeves, shorten the tops, hem the pants, I might as well go back to making my own freaking clothes.   Ha!

Take care and thanks for posting on this.  As I said, I learn something from everyone's post and enjoy and respect everyone's opinion.  Be safe.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Annabellethecat66

Have you checked out Talbots online?  Their tops are always on the shorter side for me...might be perfect for you...a bonus if I'm reading you right.   And most of their items are not really suitable for leggings.  Downside is shipping = $8!!!!  It would be great if you could search the Q site for whatever is your perfect length!

I recently ordered a top from Nordstrom...one of the reviewers said that she searched for "pullovers" and this particular item came up, but when she ordered it, it was too long for her...she said it was a tunic...Nordstrom changed the name of the item from "pullover" to "tunic."  Which helps when you do a search.   But, still, I couldn't figure it out because almost all the clothing items on Nordstrom give the lengths in the description, so she should have seen that...?

I'm sorry you aren't able to get out to the stores.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Annabellethecat66

Have you checked out Talbots online?  Their tops are always on the shorter side for me...might be perfect for you...a bonus if I'm reading you right.   And most of their items are not really suitable for leggings.  Downside is shipping = $8!!!!  It would be great if you could search the Q site for whatever is your perfect length!

I recently ordered a top from Nordstrom...one of the reviewers said that she searched for "pullovers" and this particular item came up, but when she ordered it, it was too long for her...she said it was a tunic...Nordstrom changed the name of the item from "pullover" to "tunic."  Which helps when you do a search.   But, still, I couldn't figure it out because almost all the clothing items on Nordstrom give the lengths in the description, so she should have seen that...?

I'm sorry you aren't able to get out to the stores.

@MacDUFFWhat you're seeing is a tup that was designed nto be longer.  It's a proportion they're trying to work into fashion.  Maxi was a proportion that was extremely short lived in the late '60's. 

To get a more traditional top, I'd go to Talbots, or R Lauren, or Dillards. 

i

Trusted Contributor

While I like some of the longer tops, I do manage to find some shorters ones.  I like a combination.  Sometimes we just have to ride out certain trends - I've done my share.  LOL.   Since leggings are so comfy, it may be a while. 

Contributor

I'm with you--I'd like some shorter tops, like they feature on Eddie Bauer and other sites.  I'm 5'4" with longer legs, a shorter torso, a small waist and ample hips&backside, and too-long tops hide my small waist and just make me look larger and frumpy--and make my legs look shorter, too!  Unless one is tall, the "cover everything length" of most QVC tops just strikes me as frumpy.  I understand it's challenging to design tops across a spectrum of women's shapes and sizes, but a top that fits a 5'10" model WILL NOT look good on a 5'1" woman--or this 5'4" woman.