Honored Contributor

Re: Am I The Only Person Who'd Like To See Shorter TOPS?

@151949 wrote:

@lolakimono The AVERAGE American woman is 5'6". That is most certainly not petite. If MOST women were petite then that would be what would sell and thus would be what the designers would put out there. $$$$ talks and petites are not the majority of what is sold.

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/body-measurements.htm

http://www.livestrong.com/article/357769-weight-height-for-the-average-american-woman/

Image result for average height of american woman

Image result for average height of american woman

Honored Contributor

Well, you know what I do?  I just pull out all of the tops I bought last year and the year before because they weren't long (not down my thigh).  I'm not talking about short tops just normal length.  Come on, these are not normal length, they are longer this year.

It's like everything in life.  It will take what I call "a correction" then it will swing so far the other way, I'll be on here boo hooing about longer length shirts!  Ha!

Trusted Contributor

I agree.  I like the shorter tops and I think they look better on me.  I am small on top but kind of hippy so I think I look dumpy if my top is too long.

Honored Contributor

what about those so pretty lace hem edge tops ? I see them in the store and they're long enough to fit a basketball player. I have to hang back up.

I managed to buy 4 of Isaac's his is proportioned right. I"m 5'5.

Coats, in stores are all made overseas and I go up a size when I buy coats. so there I am in Burlingtons and I can't get a XL on so by the time I was up to a 3x I said 'oh bulls I'm not that fat to have to have a 3x" and went over to the mens side and got one in 'L'.   Hubbo, said the small , tiny people over where they're making clothes women aren't over 5ft and 120 lbs so to them a XL coat is a 14 LOL    

I stick with D&Co. in coats then the hips are a tad big, but, have to have more room at the bust. They stink like chemicals, but, I bought some pine cones today to store in the closet with them

Respected Contributor

No you're not alone. I too want shorter tops. Even if one is tall, in my case 5' 7", one can still be short waisted. I also don't wear leggings. 

Certainly  more diversity in styles would be great. Sometimes I feel like retailers are trying to shove styles down the public's throat, regardless of appropriateness.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@IMW wrote:

No you're not alone. I too want shorter tops. Even if one is tall, in my case 5' 7", one can still be short waisted. I also don't wear leggings. 

Certainly  more diversity in styles would be great. Sometimes I feel like retailers are trying to shove styles down the public's throat, regardless of appropriateness.

@IMW wrote:

You just said the key to every ones problems - MORE DIVERSITY. QVC especially seems to get all hung up on one particular thing.

Trusted Contributor

The pendulem definatly swings.

I was culling some old tops out of a drawer. These were just basic printed. u-shaped neckline tops, about 10 years old. Wow - were they short!

Compared with the same style top about 5 years later, the old ones were about 2" shorter. I almost can't believe I wore them.

Esteemed Contributor

Which came first - tunics or leggings/skinny pants? I say the leggins and skinny pants came first and the tunic/longer tops came as the perfect top for them. It's pretty hard to find a pair of pants that are not skinny pants even for work. I'm retired but would never have worn leggings where I worked - but I did wear skinny/slim pants - because I had finally found pants that didn't overwhelm my thin legs! I'm also short (I've shrunk to 5'3') so a really long tunic doesn't work - but a short top doesn't work either. The bottom line is that you have to recognize what works for you and shop for it.....the Q is not the only place to buy clothes. Go out and have some fun shopping and trying on clothes at some stores in the area. Find out what works for you and let that be your guide.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@lolakimono The AVERAGE American woman is 5'6". That is most certainly not petite. If MOST women were petite then that would be what would sell and thus would be what the designers would put out there. $$$$ talks and petites are not the majority of what is sold.

No.  No.  The average height of the American woman is 5'4.  NOT 5'6 @151949.

The average height and weight of women varies around the world, but in the United States in 2010, the average adult female height was 63.8 inches (approximately 5 feet 4 inches) and 166.2 pounds, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

I agree. I am only 5' pear shaped. I do not like my stomach or but-t showing, so I do like the longer tops, even tho I am short & WIDE,lol..