Honored Contributor

Am I The Only Person Who'd Like To See Shorter TOPS?

So, I'm sitting here watching Susan Graver sell her tops, just turtle neck, long sleeve, lovely.  However, they are so long I'm sure some could even wear it for a freaking dress!

Now, I understand that people who wear leggins like them because they come over the crotch area.  However, not everyone wears leggins (believe me, I'm doing the world a favor by NOT wearing leggins).

I've bought those same tops and don't know what to do with all of that extra fabric.  I like having something (key word something/small amount) hand out from my jackets, but good grief!  These look stupid they are so long.

I almost bought one and then I remembered how stupid they look on me hanging down to my thighs!  I'm 5'4 1/2 maybe 5'5 so I'm not real short.

I don't expect them to always offer two lengths, I'm just saying "Why do they always seem to be so freaking long for those who wear tights"?

Honored Contributor

Re: Am I The Only Person Who'd Like To See Shorter TOPS?

I'm 5'6" ... long torso.  The longer the top, the better I like it!    

(I don't wear leggings)

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66
No you are not alone. At 5'2 myself I just can't pull these long shirts off! And frankly I don't need or desire to 'cover up'. All this volume only serves to guess what? Add volume!
I was perusing all the selections on the catalog thread and noticed a lot of the same thing over and over again; length and volume. I mean no offense to anyone but it occurred to me that today's trend in tops could easily double for maternity wear. Fitted and short are both in short supply
Honored Contributor

Ihave to avoid the tops that are too short, because of ahem, tummy issues. However if they are too long  they aren't right either, I'm always looking for the " sweet spot " .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

I am 5' 3" and I like a longer shirt.  I do not like my shirt riding up when I bend over or reach for something.

Trusted Contributor

@Annabellethecat66.  I also am 5' 4" and  tops that touch mid thigh make my legs look shorter than they are and "cup" my bottom.  The petite models wear XXS.  Their tops are the shortest and often they do not look proportional.  I wear a XL which means they usually add 3 more inches to the length of a top.  This extra length also makes dusters, any tops with "shark bite" portions anywhere,etc means I can not purchase them.  I have a 30" inseam and regular rise so I can not wear petite pants as they often tell us to do.  I do not wear 3"+ heels.  In our snow and ice I don't wear 2".   Pants I can hem but the hem styles in the tops mean a remake to shorten them.    Others here, on Facebook and in reviews mention they have the same problem.   I guess QVC sells more to fashion model size people than average women.

Honored Contributor

You just have to look for what you want, all the retailers, including Qvc have plenty of tops in traditional lengths.  I'm 5'3" (I lost an inch somewhere) so I know what you are saying.  The fact is the items that are shown on Qvc Tv are only a tiny percentage of what is available and I agree, they do focus on those super long tunic tops and the uneven hem tops.  I don't wear either.  I get the length of top I want by reading the measurements online.  The length is always part of the description.    I like a 25-27 inch top.   Qvc has 2080 items under "tops".  I did a quick search and in less than 60 seconds, I found  14 tops that were in the length I like.  I learned a long time ago that I cannot just sit and watch Qvc Tv and expect to see what I am looking for.  I have to search online for what I want.  

Respected Contributor

Most of the styles can easily be shortened.  If they're too short for some folks, they can't be made longer.

If you like shorter tops, look at HSN.  Both the Giuliana Rancic and Marla Wynne tops are cut shorter.

Honored Contributor

You are not alone.  Don't get me wrong, I like tunic length tops, but so many designers take broad liberties with the definition or design of a tunic.  If I want a tunic, I want it to just cover the tush.  Those that go so low they could be a short dress are never for me.

I also love regular length tops, about three inches down past the waist.  These actually make you look slimmer, IMO.  I don't want to wear a tunic everyday.  Therefore, I do my clothes shopping elsewhere, more & more these days.

Honored Contributor

@Buck-i-Nana wrote:

Most of the styles can easily be shortened.  If they're too short for some folks, they can't be made longer.

If you like shorter tops, look at HSN.  Both the Giuliana Rancic and Marla Wynne tops are cut shorter.

Yes, but Marla Wynne clothes are a cut so wide and voluminous that they present a different problem for shorter women.