Esteemed Contributor

Over the last couple of years, I have realized touch used to a major part of comparison shopping.  Without it I can not make a choice.  So no way to evaluate price.  Not willing to deal with returns.

Honored Contributor

Re: Am I A Cheapskate

[ Edited ]

Well, as far back as I can remember, shopping at QVC was mainly about convenience.  You select things in the comfort of your home, and it comes to your door.  It can't really get much more convenient that that!  

QVC has NEVER said they have the best prices, or that they are very competitive, for that matter.  Most QVC shoppers realize that.  

While I am pretty thorough with comparison shopping for most things, there are times you have to spend more because of timing .... you need a special outfit for an event coming up .... or a wedding or baby shower gift .... you get the idea.   I spend what I have to based on timing and what's available.

I think Macy's sales are great.   I recently bought a $120 set of cotton sheets during a one day sale for $48.   How do you beat that?

I still don't undertstand what their friends and family thing is, though.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44  I think the "convenience" factor was more of a factor 30-40 years ago when stores did not have websites.  Now, every major store has a website from which items can be ordered.  The attraction, IMO, of ALL the shopping channels has been greatly reduced over the years.

Agree about Macy's.  They are always having sales so I'm not sure what's special, if anything, about "Friends and Family."  

Honored Contributor

Re: Am I A Cheapskate

[ Edited ]

I don't buy much clothing from the Q anymore. Last year I think I bought 3 items. I can find similar things for less elsewhere. While they don't say they have the lowest prices, I have heard Q hosts and vendors mention that their prices for similar items are lower than many retail stores, but that's not my experience. 

As far as Q clothing being better quality...
I had a lot of Q clothing many years ago when I shopped more often with them. Most of the pieces were made well and lasted a long time. But I've also had items from Kohl's, Macy's, and JCP, which are regularly maligned here, that were also made well and worn quite awhile. I've also had a couple things from the Q and from other retailers that were not well made. It hasn't been my experience that the quality of Q clothing is markedly better or worth the higher prices. 

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Why did you post this?  Lol.  If you want to shop elsewhere, go ahead.  No one cares.  Many of us shop here and also other places.  I shop all the shopping channels and on the websites of several brick&mortar stores.  I buy what I can afford and I if something is too expensive for ME, I don't think it's over priced.  That's silly.  People have a wide range of incomes and lifestyles.  Something that is expensive to me is dirt cheap to other shoppers.  I'm very happy with QVC prices and quality.

@chrystaltree last time I checked I had the freedom to post my thoughts and opinions. If you don't agree with me that's fine, but I have the right to have my say. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

If I buy something, I'll pay for it but I expect quality.

Usually, if I find a top here, they'll ruin it with "pork chop" or patch pockets.  No, and no.

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Why did you post this?  Lol.  If you want to shop elsewhere, go ahead.  No one cares.  Many of us shop here and also other places.  I shop all the shopping channels and on the websites of several brick&mortar stores.  I buy what I can afford and I if something is too expensive for ME, I don't think it's over priced.  That's silly.  People have a wide range of incomes and lifestyles.  Something that is expensive to me is dirt cheap to other shoppers.  I'm very happy with QVC prices and quality.

Well said @chrystaltree .  I shop here and I also shop elsewhere.  I've been pleased with what I've purchased here at the Q.  We all have different budgets and place value on different things.  If one doesn't like the pricing here, go shop somewhere where you are more comfortable.  

Trusted Contributor

I consider myself a smart shopper.  I buy at consignment stores, ebay, local stores (Kohl's), and QVC.  I'd shop at Macy's if there was one in my entire state!  Yesterday I bought a pair of dark denim Time and Tru bermuda shorts at Walmart for $13.  I think that was a better value than either the Denim & Co. TSV or the Susan Graver ones that were on air yesterday.  But I have bought quite a few t-shirts this spring from QVC both for full price and some on the blowout clearance.  I needed nice t-shirts and they just were not available locally.  My small city has very little shopping left. 

Respected Contributor

@sandy53   I am so sad you don't have a Macy's to go to.  It is one of my favorite department stores.

If you know which labels you like and know your size by already having any clothing brand purchased from them that you  know fits you correctly you can double check the size chart and order online from them.  They also have a size assistant finder thing where you can fill in a brand and go through steps/questions that helps you  pick the correct size.  If you wish they will save it for you and "remember" it for the next time you shop.  If you are a rewards member (doesn't cost anything to join) they will suggest your preferred size when you click on a clothing item you are considering.

I started ordering online exclusively during the pandemic and have been very pleased.  Their packing and shipping in all categories is really good, reliable, and usually fast.  And they keep you updated in a timely manner by e-mail.

I don't have, or want, their credit card and still get points at their bronze level, so I also can accrue points, bonus points, and several times a year extra Macy's money that I can apply to a purchase.

You might want to check into it.  I have been really pleased and a lot of my clothing and other categories of items for many, many years and have only returned one--non-clothing item, which was hassle free.

Plus, I always get Rakuten cash back % that means more savings for me.  You can use the cashback option with Rakuten in store as well as online once you register your debit or credit card with Rakuten for a particular merchant.

Macy's gives very good, detailed, info on how their Macy's program works, as well as a low $ amount threshold for free shipping (which during some sales they drop even lower, right now it is $25.00 minimum purchase) so it all works for me.

Krazy Coupon Lady gives a good explanation, too, about their program.  (Not sure when shhe last updated her info . . . I should check.

Anyway, just some thoughts for a fellow shopper.  I'd go crazy if I didn't have good variety and options for clothes shopping.  I love to shop, including consignment and thrift stores, but I love to find the best price for the item I want to buy.

Best, and have a wonderful weekend!

aroc3435

Washington, DC

aroc3435

Washington, Dc

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest 

Re where we buy our everyday clothes ..... ????

JCP, LandsEnd, Blair, QVC, Chico's, Hanes, Amazon .... same places I buy "all" my clothes.  

Basically - when I see something in "my" colors and styles - if the price is right - I buy it and add it to the closet.  

--------------------------------------------------------

@goldensrbest wrote:

I had thought about starting a thread,on where women buy their every day clothing, also heard today there is a surplus of merchandise now ,and some are reducing prices.