Esteemed Contributor

Alyssa B: Styling a Capsule Wardrobe...

This woman is a natural born stylist. 

Alyssa is young and there are styles I wouldn't/couldn't wear, but I love her style...she's creative, imaginative, having fun...and I love the way she approaches a capsule in a non-traditional way.  She uses color well, but isn't fixated on it.  Most of the capsules I've seen are what I would call a base wardrobe to build upon...they're usually gray and black and beige with a black and white stripe tee and maybe a colorful scarf thrown in for variety.  

A good stylist can style a small capsule and not be bored or boring with it, and I think she proves it.  I'd trust her to style me any day over a sales associate or vendor who fancy themselves stylists trying to sell me something...most of them are full of it.  

Some of you know that I spent a year purging my wardrobe and, while I don't have a capsule wardrobe, my closet is bare compared to what it once looked like...I've learned to love a smaller, but more versatile, wardrobe which I'm not bored with in any way.

Part 1 is about 11 min and shows all the pieces in her summer capsule, and she talks about her approach...part 2 is about 7 min and is mostly a lookbook of the different styles she created with the capsule wardrobe.  

The eyelet cropped floral wide leg trousers with the blue silk blouse and the striped cotton button down are my favorite outfits (I really love those trousers!!!).  I did not like the striped shirt dress worn as a dress (too short IMO), but love it worn as a duster.

Anyway, I thought you might enjoy...

Part 1...

Part 2...

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alyssa B: Styling a Capsule Wardrobe...

I like her presentation and I would wear everything but those short shorts. Longer version of shorts would work for me. I do not have her fabulous body, so I would also not crop the tees and tanks to show my belly. Thanks for sharing.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

Hi @MacDUFF . I agree with you regarding self appointed "stylists." Rarely do sales associates have a clue and only want to sell multiples in order to make a commission. 

I enjoyed both videos. Thank you.Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

I didn't click onto your links, but went over to her website.

You can sign up for her email newsletters.

Also, viewed several of her videos.

Love this stylist's fashion choices and tips.

Thank you!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Trusted Contributor

@MacDUFF    Hi MacDuff! I hope you are well. Thank you for posting all those videos. I enjoyed some of the closet decluttering ones which prompted me to do some decluttering of my own. What started with 2 pair of pants, ended up being 4 shopping bags of vests, skirts (which I have had forever), pants, shoes, and more than enough socks for an army!! 😜
Since I have a full walk up attic, I store my out of season clothes up there.  I'm going back to work (3rd grade teacher) and at this point in my life/career, I want less "stuff". Being in quarantine for 6 months has helped me purge my wardrobe. It's a work in progress, but I feel lighter every time I do it. I even purge my classroom. (After 32 years in the same room purging is a must!)

I enjoy reading your blogs and looking at pictures you post.

Keep up the good work!

Lisa 

Honored Contributor

I'm sitting here laughing hysterically!   

I just googled "capsule wardrobe" to see what this is all about.  One article is "The Capsule Wardrobe:  How to Reduce Your Closet to 37 Pieces."

37 Pieces!?!?!?!??!!!!  One piece of advice:  

Wear only those 37 items for three months.  

I have (a lot) more than 37 turtleneck shirts!  I have more than 37 pairs of pants.  I have more than 37 pairs of shoes!  Let's not even talk about the number of sweaters, jackets and coats that I have - not to mention blouses and vests, and LOGO tops!

And .... I have three donation bags sitting here that I'm dropping off this afternoon.

Esteemed Contributor

@kate2357   Short shorts are long gone for me, too.  Now that I think of it, even longer shorts are over!   :crybaby:

@Trinity11    :wave:

Thanks @Lisa Y   Long time woman!  Hope you are well.  Congratulations on lightening the closet load.  Truth:  I haven't had to buy socks since 2016 hahaha! 

@ALRATIBA   WOW!   I have approximately 75 tops (including all the items you mentioned, except no LOGO, and counting 2 ponchos, a shawl, and one winter coat).  You've probably heard the thing about how we wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time, which, of course, means 80% of our clothes just hang there most of the time.  That is how it was for me.  I'm just curious:  Do you wear all your clothes regularly?  And where the heck do you store it all!?

Hi @ROMARY 

Thanks for your comments!  Hope y'all are  having a great evening.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MacDUFF 

I have categories of clothes ...  

I don't believe in "dress if up" or "dress it down" - I want separate clothes for separate events.  

When my parents were alive - I kept a whole bunch of clothes at their place so I would not have to bring luggage.  They moved to a really very rural area back in the 90s, and I wore stuff there I would never wear up here in NYC.   

-----------------------------

@MacDUFF wrote:

@ALRATIBA   WOW!   I have approximately 75 tops (including all the items you mentioned, except no LOGO, and counting 2 ponchos, a shawl, and one winter coat).  You've probably heard the thing about how we wear 20% of our clothes 80% of the time, which, of course, means 80% of our clothes just hang there most of the time.  That is how it was for me.  I'm just curious:  Do you wear all your clothes regularly?  And where the heck do you store it all!?

Trusted Contributor

Thanks @MacDUFF for posting.  Does anyone have info on her hangers?

Esteemed Contributor

@Tadaki   I apologize for taking so long to respond...I'm trying to find info on hangers...will let you know if I can find them.