Respected Contributor

For those skilled in sewing, can a tee shirt be successfully altered?

I have some synthetic fabric tees that are just a bit boxy. Can the side seams be taken in? Can the side seam take in run all the way under a set in sleeve?

Thanks

Honored Contributor

It can be done but for the best results you would need to use a serger machine.

Esteemed Contributor

I have taken in tanks that were boxy and they came out alright. I took a tank w/ right shape and used it to mark the sides. My approach was "what's the worst that can happen"? I wasn't going to wear the tank as it was, so it was either toss/donate or try to fix.

I do not have a serger ... would have been nice to have one, but alas.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Esteemed Contributor

Take it in using the smallest zig-zag stitch.  It won't show in the seam but will allow for a small amount of stretch in the seam.

You can do a small straight stitch and "backstitch" every few stitches for extrra thread to allow some stretch.

I've used both of these methods with success.

Honored Contributor

The inside of the shirt will look pretty awful if that's important to you.  If you cut off the excess, the edges will curl.  You'll have to take out part of the hem and re-hem by hand. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Altering a Tee Shirt?

[ Edited ]

I just trim the seam close to my zig zag stitching . At least knits don't ravel so no worries about finishing the edge.

Honored Contributor

I would just twist the bottom on one side, and tuck it in my slacks doing a "half tuck".

Honored Contributor

Re: Altering a Tee Shirt?

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

For those skilled in sewing, can a tee shirt be successfully altered?

I have some synthetic fabric tees that are just a bit boxy. Can the side seams be taken in? Can the side seam take in run all the way under a set in sleeve?

Thanks

@granddi 

I'm not a seamstress, but I've had my tailor take in the sides on a couple of tops I own. 

Honored Contributor

Always half tuck your tee shirts.  Or twist to the side.  Tee shirts usually are shorter(aside from QVC) then other tops.  

Super Contributor

I do a quarter or half tuck...usually. Was watching a YouTuber and she suggested taking a rubber band and gathering up the fabric on the inside and using it as a design. I haven't tried it yet but it seemed easy enough.