Respected Contributor

Re: Alterations Cost For Hemming Pants

@BunSnoop wrote:

My husband is short - about 5'5.  When he buys shirts (with a collar and shirt tail) that he likes to wear out / not tucked in they're always too long for him so we go to the dry cleaners to have the tail cut off and then hemmed.  It's been a few years, but I think the last time we paid about $20 for each shirt.

He had 5 shirts that he wanted shortened.  Three of the shirts had a pattern and 2 were solid.  I did the ones with a pattern myself as if the sewing is not perfect, no one can tell.  But, with a solid shirt the sewing shows more so I said I'll take those to be altered professionally.

Just picked up the two shirts today - I could not believe the price - $96.00 for both, $38.00 each!!!!   The shirts that I did myself took about 1/2 an hour each so the cleaners are charging about $100 per hour.

needless to say, I told hubby that in the future we're only buying shirts that I can alter myself for him as I felt $96.00 was ridiculous.

@BunSnoop   Agree, that IS ridiculous.  Just throwing this out there -- there's a mens shirt store called Untucked (you can buy online, too).  Not sure of pricing or styles, but the shirts aren't as long as regular shirts because they're meant to wear untucked.  Might be something interesting for hubby.

Trusted Contributor

@BarbiHollywood, OMG - thank you so much for the website information.  I took a look and that is just perfect for my husband.   Thank you again!!!!!

Honored Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@layla2450 wrote:

Basic pants hem - $7.95.

@layla2450 

Not here now.

@ECBG 

Not here --- ever --- not in the 1980s even.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

I do my own hemming but I really have to be in the mood to sew. Did so many masks during the last two years that I'm not into it right now. I took my sewing machine to do some hemming for a friend (drapes) during December and the machine is still in my car. Hopping it would just walk into the house.

@ECBG  did you say you wear petite pants? I would not have guessed. I'm 5'2" and of course wear petite 27-28 inches depending on height of shoes I wear with the pants.

Is it because your legs are short? My cousin is 6' but has short legs for that height. Her torso is long so that gives her that height. Now it seems as if petite inseam could be anything where once it was about up to 5'3"

@Sage04 

With age, I have shrunk to 5-3 and I wear a 30-inch hem.  I have long legs.  Yeah, when I get alterations done, they tell me "you're built funny."  I like the long legs although I need very little distance from navel to groin and that made it difficult to deliver those 9-pound-plus babies.

Honored Contributor

@Nonametoday wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

I do my own hemming but I really have to be in the mood to sew. Did so many masks during the last two years that I'm not into it right now. I took my sewing machine to do some hemming for a friend (drapes) during December and the machine is still in my car. Hopping it would just walk into the house.

@ECBG  did you say you wear petite pants? I would not have guessed. I'm 5'2" and of course wear petite 27-28 inches depending on height of shoes I wear with the pants.

Is it because your legs are short? My cousin is 6' but has short legs for that height. Her torso is long so that gives her that height. Now it seems as if petite inseam could be anything where once it was about up to 5'3"

@Sage04 

With age, I have shrunk to 5-3 and I wear a 30-inch hem.  I have long legs.  Yeah, when I get alterations done, they tell me "you're built funny."  I like the long legs although I need very little distance from navel to groin and that made it difficult to deliver those 9-pound-plus babies.

@Nonametoday 

I am 5' 6" and my usual fit is in the misses department, however,

Within a small height range, misses can go UP 1 size and wear petite pants UNLESS they are longer in the stride.

The taller range of petites can go down one size and get a fit out of misses pants and tops too.  Main issues are the misses arm holes being too large for petites in sleeveless.