Honored Contributor

Re: Alterations Cost For Hemming Pants

@layla2450 wrote:

Basic pants hem - $7.95.

@layla2450 

Not here now.

Honored Contributor

I hem my own clothing.  I enjoy it.  Family members and neighbors used to bring me their things to hem.  That was as a teenager.  They never paid me a thing.  LOL.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner   I had no idea Talbots offered that service-  I know Nordstrom does although I believe only on full-price items.

Honored Contributor

I've been going to an independent tailor for hemming for 20-30 years. His work is great and prices are so low that I wonder how he makes it. The last time I was there, he said he's thinking of retiring in a couple of years and my heart sunk.

Trusted Contributor

I like my pants longer than ankle length, if there is enough hem to bring it down, the place I go to charges $10.00, although I haven't taken any pairs in awhile since retiring he might be charging a little more now just like everything else going up in price these days.

Honored Contributor

@ECBG   Good for you. That's quite a savings.

I'm always looking for a good tailor and a better price since most of my pants need hemming. Ankle pants...YAY!  They're the perfect full length for me, but I want ankle length, capris  in regular size (not petite) do the trick.

When I do need hems, my cleaners has a good tailor who charges $15 for a hem. For jeans, I like the original hem removed, then shortened and that hem put back on the bottom...think they look more authentic. That costs $25. I usually try to get my jeans on sale to make up for that expense.

Respected Contributor

I don't know about ladies pants but 7 years ago my daughter's school uniform skirts always had to be altered.  The skirts cost about $30 or so.  Alterations were at least $20.  So glad don't have to do that anymore.  

Respected Contributor

@ECBG   I sew, also.  I don't know what the going rate is as I do all my own alterations.  But it sounds like you found a good deal there!

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

@Sooner   I had no idea Talbots offered that service-  I know Nordstrom does although I believe only on full-price items.

@millieshops I don't have to have Talbots pants hemmed.  I get petite sizes and they fit like they were made for me.

Esteemed Contributor

I've never had a pair of pants hemmed in my life.  I'm tall but don't really have an issue finding pants that are too short.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown