Honored Contributor

Alterations Cost For Hemming Pants

I can sew and have designed clothing.

I detest clothing repair as well as hemming; working, I really DON'T have time!

Denim is hard to hem if you don't!  UGH!

I found an alterations person with 4 1/2 stars only 1 1/2 miles out of my way but has a parking lot where I can finally get out! AND $10.00 less!  I can't believe it!

I Went from $25 to $10 if I heard right!  Anyway, it will be less than what I have been charged!!!

Yeah!!!

What is the cost to hem a pair of ladies pants where you live please???

Honored Contributor

Re: Alterations Cost For Hemming Pants

I can't remember, but $10 or $15 sounds about right.  But, it might've been as much as $20.  

I, too, can sew, but I despise doing hems or alterations on myself. It's really too difficult to get it right trying to pin things on yourself unless you have someone else to do it for you.

Jeans are one of those things that you can tell when they have been hemmed unless they use the right thread and a double needle.

Honored Contributor

I don't have to have it done because I shop at Talbots!  Thank goodness for them!

Respected Contributor

I don't buy pants with an inseam I can't use. There are plenty of pants to choose from.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I don't have to have it done because I shop at Talbots!  Thank goodness for them!

@Sooner 

As do I.  I still have to have 2 inches taken off!  If petite, I still have to have them hemmed!!!

Respected Contributor

I pay $15 here in California. I am between a regular and a tall and I can't stand high water pants. My right leg is also shorter then my left. So sometimes I just have to have one leg shortened. And no ankle length for me either. So I buy the talls and have them shortened about an inch usually. Sometimes less.
Honored Contributor

I'll do woven fabrics myself.

For jeans - I occasionally cheat - I baste - use iron-on hem facing and then remove the basting. 

Sometimes I'll just turn under and use decorative lapel pins to secure. (Looks jazzy!)

Knit fabrics - won't touch.  The tailor at the nearby dry cleaner charged $16 last summer.  Haven't bought anything in since last summer.

Honored Contributor

Usually varies, but normally between $10 to $20.  How much fabric being taken up really doesn't matter.   

It's my experience that hemming costs depend on both the fabric .....   as well as the zip code of the tailor you use.  

Honored Contributor

When I was working, I frequently had my clothes altered.

And I will say that $10.00 IS A BARGAIN! Go for it. I was paying $10 and more 25 years ago. In fact often the alterations were more than what I paid for the item.

Run! With all the items that you want altered. Before she find out the going rate for alterations.

A few months ago my husband took a down sleeping bag and asked how much to get the zipper back on track. They said at least $50.00.

Trusted Contributor

Basic pants hem - $7.95.