Honored Contributor

Re: Alpaca coats at Dillards.

@ECBG wrote:

@Nonametoday 

I would be very cautious. 

I was giving you an example of a perceived high end product. 

@ECBG 

Dillard's has several grades of cashmere at my store, depending on the brand name.  The Peruvian coats are just slightly less in price than the Katherine Kelly at Dillard's.  Not sure there is a difference in the quality of the coats as the ones from Katherine Kelly are from alpaca coats in Peru.  Not to be obstinate but the coats appear to be in the same price range, within $100-200.  The coats at Dillard's start at $1000.  The ones in Peruvian store $800-$900.  Naadam are $500 and Tommy Bahama $500.  There are stores in Dallas and NYC that have lesser priced than that but the alpaca is probably not from Fair Trade.  So that is my lesson on alpaca, so as to be positive and factual.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE    They are adorable!    Maybe you could raise some on your back 40.....????

See the source image

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@FLtricia 

Many years ago, I attended an "Alpacafest" in Maryland, North of Baltimore.  It was such a fun event, my husband and I thought about investing in a few Alpacas.

Like you said, they were very engaging animals and those eyes and fur draw you in.  After a few weeks and some research, we decided it wasn't for us.

My husband said I would have them in the house and on the beds, so not a good idea Cat LOL

However, we have a couple of Alpaca farms nearby so I can visit whenever I like.  Such beautiful creatures!

Respected Contributor

My girlfriend came back from a trip to Peru.  She was wearing an Alpaca coat.  I found out I am badly allergic.  I have to remind her not to wear it when we go out.  Eyes red, watering, all stuffed up.  Not for me.,  LM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG wrote:

@Nonametoday 

Can you please elaborate @ECBG ?  What are the cons of purchasing alpaca?

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

@ECBG wrote:

@Nonametoday 

Can you please elaborate @ECBG ?  What are the cons of purchasing alpaca?

@San Antonio Gal 

Like every store, Dillards offers several "tiers of quality".  Personally, I would want to see the item, look at the lining, and the quality of the buttons.

Peruvian Connection offers the highest alpaca items in my experience.  

If I couldn't find it at PC, I'd go by store reputation, like Sacks.

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal 

I just found this coat at PC in all sizes and offered in black as well in baby alpaca.  Their styling is always above.

The modern wardrobe staple every woman needs, our luxurious, classic wrap coat is irresistible  with a roomy fit, drop shoulders, patch pockets and a trapunto-stitched self-belt. Detailed with accents of our signature  patterned Peruvian manta tape at inside seams. Also in Black. Baby alpaca (67%), wool (31%), nylon (2%).

Honored Contributor

How beautiful @ECBG !

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

How beautiful @ECBG !

@San Antonio Gal 

Thank you.  Everything I have gotten was worth what I paid.Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SharkE  You definitely should get one, especially at that price!

Years ago I bought an Alpaca sweater/coat and I wear it often in the zero-degree weather. (plus a scarf & gloves) It's the warmest thing!! And so luxurious in feeling.

If I wear a cashmere sweater underneath, I do not need the scarf or the gloves!