Valued Contributor

All these tunic length and "boyfriend" shirts

Just looked at some C Wonder and a Joan Rivers new boyfriend shirt he was calling ready for summer :NOT.Too big and too long.  But I have also noticed in most other designers that these long long shirts are unflattering to most figures. I think they they are responding to many women who think that they need their butt completly covered and then, their basic model is for tallish women. I wish women realized that a top that goes down past the buttocks is EMPHASIZES your butt and hip because it clings to it. And if it's polyester and doesn't, it still looks bad because it looks frumpy. The best look is a top that skims the top to mid buttock.

Being a Plus Petite this particularly frustrating because QVC thinks plus womene are tall and the ADD ON extra inches,making them not petite at all!

That all said I just saw an Issac cardigan that is normal length. Hurrah for Issac.

Honored Contributor

Re: All these tunic length and "boyfriend" shirts

I just want a top that covers my gut, It does not have to go over my butt or to my knees.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Tunics and longer bf shirts are popular now because skinny jeans and leggings are still in style and after all these years, women are finally "getting it".  Regardless of whatever size you happen to be, skinnies and leggings need a finger tip length top.  That does present challenges for short women and it's particularly challenging for short plus size women.  I belong to that particular club.  Granted, I don't wear skinnies or leggings but when I wear a tunic or bj shirt over straight leg jeans, I have to belt it.  Otherwise, I look to squat and boxy.  But no one is required to wear every style they make.  If longer shirts don't work for you, don't wear them.

Honored Contributor

I am tall and relatively thin but big busted.  I don't like the tunic tops because they look like maternity tops on me.  I think they also add weight not subtract it.  

Honored Contributor

@Whosits

Interestingly enough when I posted a thread regarding trends; likes and dislikes, the majority of respondents said they didn't like tunic length shirts!

I wonder when the industry will get the message?

Honored Contributor

Well, I stick up for the tunic tops for sportswear.  I have no butt and never have to speak of.  I never liked people  pointing that out and I saw it, regardless of their thinkiing I had not seen the looks nor heard the whispers, so for me it's a win-win and I love leggings, because that was my virtue aside from thick hair was that I had shapely legs..  Given my bad complexion, having no rearend, I deserved a couple good things to compensate and now that my chemo is making my hair thin, God sends tunic tops to cover my lackluster derriere.  

Trusted Contributor

@Andreatoo wrote:

@Whosits

Interestingly enough when I posted a thread regarding trends; likes and dislikes, the majority of respondents said they didn't like tunic length shirts!

I wonder when the industry will get the message?

Just because a few people on a thread here don't like tunics does not mean that the industry needs to stop making them.  I am sure there are millions of women who DO like them and the reason the fashion industry in making them is because they are also selling them.  Personally, I like most of them, depending on the fabric and style. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have you in my prayers and hope that you are doing well . I can't imagine what a tough road you have to travel. I really am not crazy about tunics or boyfriend shirts, I am short and they cut me in half.

Honored Contributor

I love tunic length...boyfriend shirts, not so much.  When I wear leggings or skimmies, I like to have a longer top, at least long enough to cover my butt.  When I wear jeans, I prefer a regular length top.

Trusted Contributor

If I wear a "shirt" I like it to be in a softer fabric like a knit or jersey blend so that it fits my body not flow away from my body!  To me that is not a feminine look but then that is my taste for me!  As far as the tunic length which I wear with skinny jeans I like it to be more fitted and not flair out at the bottom!   Long woven shirts don't work for me!  I think some women look nice in them!Woman Happy