Respected Contributor

Re: All Nylons Out Of Style?

Do they still make them? Wow.😮 

Respected Contributor

It's interesting to note that some influencers on YouTube have been talking about wearing "sheer tights" with some of the current fashions and to me, that's the same thing as pantyhose. 🤷‍♀️

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's funny to me how many are making panty hose (what we always called them) like something out of the 19th century or even as far back as corsets.Woman LOL

I don't remember calling them nylons. I don't like the way most tanning lotions look either and I don't like the feel of any tanning lotions.

Panty hose or "nylons" may have been out of style for decades for some but not for others.

I would wear them or tights with a dress and if a long dress I might wear leggings under it in winter. I still have some really pretty panty hose. They are not all just beige or

boring. 

I also don't know how people can wear shoes without some kind of socks or hose or tights! It is so uncomfortable. I do think panty hose make legs look better too for most.

The only time I wouldn't wear hose with a dress is in summer with flip flops.

So many different opinions but they have not been out of style for many. Maybe on the runway  and for most young people I know who don't wear them.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

I never stopped wearing them. If I'm wearing a nice dress and heels, I'm wearing  pantyhose. (Ha they must be outdated because my tablet wouldn't even let me type the word!)

Trusted Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

The word nylons itself if about 30 years out of style. 

@I am still oxox    i believe it may be a regional thing.

nylons, stockings, hose, hosiery, pantyhose

pocketbook, purse, handbag, bag

i still say nylons and pocketbook

Just like bra or brazier.....still means the same! 

Valued Contributor

I remember when I was younger, rummaging through my drawer to find a pair of pantyhose without a run in them to wear to church! I was notorious for snagging them and trying to stop the run with clear fingernail polish.

It’s funny to think about those egg shaped containers by Leggs that pantyhose came in. You could find those anywhere, including the grocery store! In my later teen years, I bought the ones from dept stores that came in a 6 x 8 envelope folded nicely, I thought I was so fancy then! 😆
Honored Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

Nylons are out and I think it's a shame.  My feelings are that they make your legs look so much better.  It's a more polished look especially if you are getting dressed up.  Running around town in a sundress with sandals is different.

I know some will say they won't wear them in the summer because they are too hot but most of us are in air conditioning.  I see women in leggings all year round so what's the difference?

@Winkk 

I totally agree with what you wrote!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Maybe they are out of style, but I don't care.  A lot of people have really nice looking legs and also are able to tan well.  Some of us have neither.  And then there are still some who just prefer nylons or hose when they were a dress or skirt that is a bit dressier.  I can't use self-tanners any more as they make me itch and break out.  So, I say, do whatever you feel is best for you and don't worry what anybody else does or thinks!!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

Nobody I know wears them. I think dresses and skirts aren't worn as much as they once were.  I mean to go out shopping in a dress?  No, nearly all the women out there are in pants.  Also hose look awful in sandals.   You almost always wear them with enclosed shoes. 

Honored Contributor

I have a wedding to attend in May.  I will be wearing sheer black hose with my LBD.  No one wants to see my pale, veiny, string-bean legs.

It's different in the summer when I'm tan and going to a casual event.  I don't have a problem being in a dress bare legged.  They don't look bad when I'm tan.