Respected Contributor

I wear an underwire bra under some clothing and when I want a totally smooth look under some other tops and dresses, I wear a Shapeez bra. AE18FC29-2EA8-4867-9DCD-9D91FFCB567F.jpeg

956F4EB3-CB0D-474C-A679-A61971FB6B4A.jpeg

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

I only wear a T Shirt bra, no lace, plain and simple. Underwire.  I am a hard fit so once I find something I like I stick with it.

I did just recently try the Wacoal Simone Sports Bra/underwire, I really like it, Full coverage, no bounce.  I'm full busted and needed additional coverage, even tho I was already wearing Wacoal's full coverage Tshirt bra.

Respected Contributor

I hate bras and don't wear them at home, unless we have guests or repairmen. I prefer underwire front closure bras for support and straps that stay put. I also like Glamorize sports bras for walking or working out at the gym. I have a few others, but gravitate to the ones I mentioned above. 

Honored Contributor

I only buy wireless t-shirt bras and sports bras.  

I have two issues - small cup size and broader across the back than the front and the cups are usually set too far apart.  Sports bras usually give me the best fit.

Honored Contributor

After breast cancer surgery I am ALL about comfort.  Wire bras come no where near me.

I mostly wear Spanx socialite cami's.  I find them comfortable and snug enough to give me a good shape and support but not too tight.  Other than that I wear mostly sports type bras.  Of course it depends on what type of clothing you wear to decide what bra will be best for that day.  

@gertrudecloset Interesting thread.

Honored Contributor

I have NO bras--don't wear them anymore as I had double mastectomy due to breast cancer and decided not to go thru the torture of reconstruction---is very freeing altho hard to buy clothing to fit my "manly" shape--I did do the prothestics  in bras but man what a heavy load on my shoulders and back------

Respected Contributor

Intresting @gertrudecloset .  Thanks for posting.  I now know I have close set breasts.  Had to look up sister sizing as I didn't know what that meant but had a bra fitter discuss that info when she said I had found my cup size but not the right band size.  Unfortunately, she put me in a too small band size that I actually could not put back on because it was sooooo tight.  I cannot wear Bali bras because the cups are set too wide for me.  I do have a variety of bra styles because I like to wear a bra all the time.  I sleep in an ahh bra.   Looking for ward to more info.

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Esteemed Contributor

The size of bra cups depends on the bra band size.  The size designation of a bra cup (B, C, D etc) does not state the volume of the cups. This part about bra sizes is a bit counter-intuitive and misunderstood. This results in many women choosing the wrong bra size. Read on and we'll explain.

A cup in US 30G, has about the same size (volume) as in US 38C

Adjust the bra cup size when changing the band size!

The most common mistake women make is buying bras with too large bra bands. The support and lift should come mainly from the bra band. The weight of the bust should be carried by the band, not by the shoulder straps. If the bra band is too big, it will not provide proper support.

If the cups fit your bust but the bra band size has to be changed, you will also need to change the cup size. For example, if you change from US 36D to US 34D then the cup will feel smaller (since a D-cup in 34D is smaller than a D-cup in 36D). Too small cups can be mistaken for the bra band being too small. This is import and worth repeating: You can incorrectly believe that the bra band is too small even though it's the cups that are too small.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

Keep the chart handy for sister sizing.  If you buy a particular brand you refer and say for instance, the size you need is not available, you might be able to use an "alternate size" which is stated in the chart I gave.  That should (theoretically) give you two more options in sizing.  So, this theory says there are three sizes we can wear comfortably based on "sister sizing.  The cup size does not change with the band size.

Example:

You wear a 36DD (this is also equal to a 36E) same cup size.  Universal cup sizing  a 36DDD is a 36F.  If I can't find my regular 36DD/(E) size, on either side of the chart I should be able to get one of the sister sizes that will fit like my 36DD.

Esteemed Contributor

@4kittiesI have many bra styles.  I have an all in one purchased by cup size and a bra cami like you showed purchased by cup size.  I have full coverage bras with underwire (which I'm beginning to hate).  I have full coverage without underwire and they feel best.  I do have a balconett....demi and plunge.  I have strapless to wear spaghetti sleeves.

I don't the balconett or demi or plunge much anymore though as I am no longer wearing garments that require them.

One I will never wear is a minimizer.