Honored Contributor

At 47 I still had a really good figure.I could show my stomach that was still flat and toned 

.now that i am 64 I don’t like to uncover much. We should wear what we think suits us best and makes us feel comfortable with our look. 

Valued Contributor

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I am wondering what you think about short hemlines with respect to age. Do you think a woman over a certain age should mind her hemline with skirts and dresses, or is it anything goes as long as it looks good and fits well?

Reason I ask: today I was trying on dresses and skirts which haven’t fit in a few years due to weight gain, and after some weight loss they all fit again. I was a little surprised how short some of these were and I was only wearing them about 3 years ago. I was like, whoa mama that’s short!  I don’t know what’s appropriate anymore. I’m 47 and really feeling my age lately.  

@Grouchomarx Yes a woman over a certain age should mind her hemline with skirts and dresses; just because it fits doesn't mean it's age appropriate.  But I guess if you feel comfortable in it you shouldn't care what others think.  Not sure that this helps any.

And, what exactly does 47 feel like since you are really feeling your age?

Respected Contributor

@Snowhite714 wrote:

@Grouchomarx wrote:

I am wondering what you think about short hemlines with respect to age. Do you think a woman over a certain age should mind her hemline with skirts and dresses, or is it anything goes as long as it looks good and fits well?

Reason I ask: today I was trying on dresses and skirts which haven’t fit in a few years due to weight gain, and after some weight loss they all fit again. I was a little surprised how short some of these were and I was only wearing them about 3 years ago. I was like, whoa mama that’s short!  I don’t know what’s appropriate anymore. I’m 47 and really feeling my age lately.  

@Grouchomarx Yes a woman over a certain age should mind her hemline with skirts and dresses; just because it fits doesn't mean it's age appropriate.  But I guess if you feel comfortable in it you shouldn't care what others think.  Not sure that this helps any.

And, what exactly does 47 feel like since you are really feeling your age?

Well today I stopped at my local wine shop to pick up a bottle of white, just to have around. The clerk there I am very familiar with, and he is very good looking. He wished me a happy mother’s day. I do not have children (by choice), and have never indicated either way to him. I realized i look like a woman of a certain age who looks like I should be a soccer mom. I guess I feel younger than I look. And it made me a bit depressed I’m not disguising my general age no matter what I try to do. So there. I said it. Yikes I feel so old today. I still feel 30 something but 50 is coming on fast. So scary. 

Honored Contributor

The one and only thing that tells me "what works" is a FULL-LENGTH MIRROR.............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Grouchomarx @Just love yourself whatever age you are and know that 50 isn’t old these days...heck at that age men still looked at me with a smile.Today at 64 nobody really notices me.In a way I kind of enjoy that as I don’t have to feel bad if I don’t get my hair and outfit perfect each time I leave the house.If you are healthy then you have it all.

Respected Contributor

@dex wrote:

@Grouchomarx @Just love yourself whatever age you are and know that 50 isn’t old these days...heck at that age men still looked at me with a smile.Today at 64 nobody really notices me.In a way I kind of enjoy that as I don’t have to feel bad if I don’t get my hair and outfit perfect each time I leave the house.If you are healthy then you have it all.

Thank you that felt like a virtual hug. 

Esteemed Contributor

I prefer dresses that come below the knee and/or midi length.  That has always been my preference regardless of age.  I feel more comfortable when bending or sitting.  Knees/legs don’t always age well so each person will have a different comfort level when it comes to length.    

Valued Contributor

I think all females should dress modestly no matter what age they are.

Honored Contributor

I'm at the end of my 60's so I don't have the legs I used to, but even if I did I would not be comfortable at my age wearing a dress above my knees. My MIL wore dresses above the knees into her 80's and it was a sight to see.LOL

Trusted Contributor

I'm old school and tend toward modest.  My faith also dictates a suggested dress code.

It also suggests that we are not to try to dress younger than our years. I think this is referring to short skirts and dresses belonging to the very young, overdone makeup, etc.

I expect flack for this, but stand by my statement. I believe at this age a woman represents dignity and discernment.

For women in our age group, at the knee or below is my preferred choice.

If you are saying to yourself, "whoa this is short",  you already have your answer.